John Hart the next O's GM?

Tony-OH

Hmm. Well, Weams, at least they have a game plan, from what you're saying. It's just very hard for me to imagine how a trio of Angelos, Buck and a youngster like DiPoto, LaCava or Levine would actually work. At the end of the day, someone needs to be "the decider," so to speak. If that's not the GM, with PA chiming in only on major decisions, then the whole thing is an exercise in futility. I guess I'd rather see Hart, in a case like that, than a systematically emasculated "young gun," if that is the choice.

LaCava is 50, DiPoto 43, and Levine 40. I have a hard time calling anyone my age or older a "youngster". They're all considerably older than Theo or DePodesta when they became GMs. I know, I know, we're talking Angelos' peer group here, so these guys are barely out of diapers. But there have been Presidents of the United States 10 years younger than LaCava.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LaCava is 50, DiPoto 43, and Levine 40. I have a hard time calling anyone my age or older a "youngster". They're all considerably older than Theo or DePodesta when they became GMs. I know, I know, we're talking Angelos' peer group here, so these guys are barely out of diapers. But there have been Presidents of the United States 10 years younger than LaCava.

Well, in fairness, being a GM is MUCH tougher than being the POTUS. ;)

Uh, no there haven't. JFK was the youngest, at 43. And there also have been Presidents who were 70, and many in their 60's, so why is John Hart written off because he's 63? I have no problem going young, but it irks me when some posters DQ guys who are at the older end of the spectrum.

Uh, no there haven't. JFK was the youngest, at 43. And there also have been Presidents who were 70, and many in their 60's, so why is John Hart written off because he's 63? I have no problem going young, but it irks me when some posters DQ guys who are at the older end of the spectrum.
JFK was the youngest elected, but Teddy Roosevelt was the youngest of them all.

TR was 42, LaCava turns 51 in May, so I'll round that off to 10.

I was kind of hoping for somebody who'd be around for a while. I guess I could see Hart here in 10 years, when he's 73. But he's basically the same age as my Dad, and he's been retired for 7 years.

Just for comparison, Schwartzneger, Clinton, Stallone, and "W", are all 65.

Hmm. Well, Weams, at least they have a game plan, from what you're saying. It's just very hard for me to imagine how a trio of Angelos, Buck and a youngster like DiPoto, LaCava or Levine would actually work. At the end of the day, someone needs to be "the decider," so to speak. If that's not the GM, with PA chiming in only on major decisions, then the whole thing is an exercise in futility. I guess I'd rather see Hart, in a case like that, than a systematically emasculated "young gun," if that is the choice.

I'm not sure I buy this line of thinking. Buck will have a major say in who's chosen. In theory, Buck will generally have his back. That means Buck can theoretically run any necessary interference with PA for the new GM.

Roch hears things like everyone else. Things change alot in a short period of time. Most baseball writers get the rumors wrong alot.

Oh absolutely! I meant that to say I trust Roch more than most. Just wouldn't bank on the "one hire" quote as fact.

I understand completely. I am not sure the O's know how it will all turn out. But the horses are coming down the stretch. They have to get a GM soon,free agency and non tenders are right around the corner.

When have the Orioles ever cared about that?

When have the Orioles ever cared about that?

Hey hey, this is all part of the process. Things are just now starting to percolate. Once the wining and dining is over, we'll put the WOW offer on the table and John Hart will be all ours. Hang on for the ride!

Hey hey, this is all part of the process. Things are just now starting to percolate. Once the wining and dining is over, we'll put the WOW offer on the table and John Hart will be all ours. Hang on for the ride!
Angelos wants to win NOW! Believe. You may have heard this tune before, but this time it will really come true.

Ha! It's all relative. I'm older than Levine, for cryingoutloud. And for a franchise rooted in the Stoic philosophy of Syd Thrift, these guys are indeed "young." But you are right. They're not exactly misty-eyed college pukes, especially LaCava. Any of them could probably stand his ground to whatever extent one could in the bizarre culture of the Warehouse. If not, they'll make Frank Wren's tenure look Ripkenesque.

Archived