John Hart the next O's GM?

Tony-OH

I'm not sure I buy this line of thinking. Buck will have a major say in who's chosen. In theory, Buck will generally have his back. That means Buck can theoretically run any necessary interference with PA for the new GM.

In theory - yes. As long as the GM is doing exactly what Buck wants him to do. And there's the rub. It's an unhealthy situation to have the manager hand-picking his new boss. What if Buck and the new GM disagree? Buck goes to Angelos, who trusts buck more than the "new guy." And the GM gets his sack squashed a few times... and then he starts twirling pencils at this desk. And then he applies to be the next commisioner. :D

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TR was 42, LaCava turns 51 in May, so I'll round that off to 10.

I was kind of hoping for somebody who'd be around for a while. I guess I could see Hart here in 10 years, when he's 73. But he's basically the same age as my Dad, and he's been retired for 7 years.

Well, my dad didn't retire until he was 70, so there. No, I do agree that one would have to consider how long Hart would want to do the job. And, I definitely feel it has been proven that a young GM can be successful. I just wouldn't write off Hart because he is 63. That's not exactly Methuselah.

Besides blind hope, why would anyone think that anyone would come to THIS organization and have MORE success than they had in a better environment?

By your logic, pretty much every GM, or hot new upcoming GM candidate would fail if they came here, due to the environment. So why is everyone getting bent out of shape who we get, if the outcome is destined to be a failure? If there is essentially no hope, period, then nobody should care who we get.

By your logic, pretty much every GM, or hot new upcoming GM candidate would fail if they came here, due to the environment. So why is everyone getting bent out of shape who we get, if the outcome is destined to be a failure?
First of all, yes I am going to assume failure while PA is the owner.

My only hope is that we bring in someone with great ideas and that some of those ideas are allowed to happen.

From Wikipedia:

"Just over a year after agreeing to the extension, John Hart stepped down as general manager of the Texas Rangers on October 4, 2005 and was replaced by Jon Daniels. During his four years with the Rangers, the team compiled a record of 311–337, never advancing to the playoffs. After Hart garnered interest for the general manager position on other teams in the 2005 off-season, the Rangers extended his senior advisor contract for three more years in exchange for Hart refusing to consider any other GM positions. Thus Hart remains with the Rangers today and is locked up through the year 2013."

So even if we wanted Hart, we would have to come up with some kind of compensation if the Rangers would allow it (they don't seem obligated to allow it at all).

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I thought I'd share anyway.

From Wikipedia:

"Just over a year after agreeing to the extension, John Hart stepped down as general manager of the Texas Rangers on October 4, 2005 and was replaced by Jon Daniels. During his four years with the Rangers, the team compiled a record of 311–337, never advancing to the playoffs. After Hart garnered interest for the general manager position on other teams in the 2005 off-season, the Rangers extended his senior advisor contract for three more years in exchange for Hart refusing to consider any other GM positions. Thus Hart remains with the Rangers today and is locked up through the year 2013."

So even if we wanted Hart, we would have to come up with some kind of compensation if the Rangers would allow it (they don't seem obligated to allow it at all).

I doubt they would stand in his way at this point, or even ask for compensation. Daniels has been their GM for 6 years now and Hart's been spending most of his time on the MLB Network gig. They may have the legal right to keep him from serving as another team's GM, but considering how Texas has done the last few years, and how little of a threat the Orioles are, it would be a pretty low blow to prevent Hart from returning to the organization he started with, if that is what he wanted to do.

I doubt they would stand in his way at this point, or even ask for compensation. Daniels has been their GM for 6 years now and Hart's been spending most of his time on the MLB Network gig. They may have the legal right to keep him from serving as another team's GM, but considering how Texas has done the last few years, and how little of a threat the Orioles are, it would be a pretty low blow to prevent Hart from returning to the organization he started with, if that is what he wanted to do.

Most MLB clubs have an "out clause" for employees that allows the employee to void the remainder of their contract so long as they are taking a position with another team that would be considered a promotion (salary, title, etc.). I believe, but am not sure, that Texas is one such organization. In fact, Anthopoulos made some news when he recently changed Toronto's policy, which previously allowed for employees to make lateral moves to other organizations (which most teams do not allow). This was in the wake of rumors that the Red Sox were going to attempt to hire John Farrell away from Toronto.

From Wikipedia:

OK, call me dense. If 'in the 2005 off-season, the Rangers extended his senior advisor contract for three more years', how does that 'lock him up through the year 2013? Where is the missing information?

OK, call me dense. If 'in the 2005 off-season, the Rangers extended his senior advisor contract for three more years', how does that 'lock him up through the year 2013? Where is the missing information?

I think it just means he extended in 2005 and has re-extended since. I'm just guessing tho...

When he stepped down in 2005 he got a five year contract to serve as an advisor (through 2010). When other teams started showing interest in bringing him on board as a GM, the Rangers added three more years to the contract (through 2013).

I think DiPoto and Lacava are still the top choices. I am not sure Hart is in the mix. We shall see. Also some things on the Angels search. I think both teams have a new GM next week. At least one .

The Angels hope to have a general manager in place by early next week, and remain interested in Tampa Bay's Andrew Friedman -- perhaps for a position higher than general manager -- according to a Los Angeles Times report that cited unnamed sources.

Friedman, the report claims, appears to be the top choice to replace Tony Reagins, who resigned as GM two days after the season. But Tampa Bay owner Stuart Sternberg has called Friedman "a partner," which seems to have complicated the Angels' pursuit.

To land Friedman, the story goes, he would be offered a position as club president, with another candidate hired as GM.

The Angels, according to the Times, have interviewed Jerry Dipoto, Arizona's senior vice president for scouting and player development; New York Yankees executives Damon Oppenheimer (vice president of amateur scouting) and Billy Eppler (director of professional scouting); Chicago White Sox assistant GM Rick Hahn, and former New York Mets GM Omar Minaya.

Kim Ng, a senior vice president for Major League Baseball's baseball operations, reportedly will be interviewed this week. Texas assistant GM Thad Levine also could be interviewed after the Rangers finish the World Series. Former Dodgers GM Dan Evans has been under consideration, but has not been formally interviewed.

The Angels were denied permission, according to the report, to interview Detroit Tigers assistant GM Al Avila and Florida vice president of player personnel Dan Jennings.

The team did not seek permission to interview San Diego manager Bud Black.

The new GM will be allowed to hire a new assistant GM, player-personnel director and farm director.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111025&content_id=25789918&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I think DiPoto and Lacava are still the top choices. I am not sure Hart is in the mix. We shall see. Also some things on the Angels search. I think both teams have a new GM next week. At least one .

The Angels hope to have a general manager in place by early next week, and remain interested in Tampa Bay's Andrew Friedman -- perhaps for a position higher than general manager -- according to a Los Angeles Times report that cited unnamed sources.

Friedman, the report claims, appears to be the top choice to replace Tony Reagins, who resigned as GM two days after the season. But Tampa Bay owner Stuart Sternberg has called Friedman "a partner," which seems to have complicated the Angels' pursuit.

To land Friedman, the story goes, he would be offered a position as club president, with another candidate hired as GM.

The Angels, according to the Times, have interviewed Jerry Dipoto, Arizona's senior vice president for scouting and player development; New York Yankees executives Damon Oppenheimer (vice president of amateur scouting) and Billy Eppler (director of professional scouting); Chicago White Sox assistant GM Rick Hahn, and former New York Mets GM Omar Minaya.

Kim Ng, a senior vice president for Major League Baseball's baseball operations, reportedly will be interviewed this week. Texas assistant GM Thad Levine also could be interviewed after the Rangers finish the World Series. Former Dodgers GM Dan Evans has been under consideration, but has not been formally interviewed.

The Angels were denied permission, according to the report, to interview Detroit Tigers assistant GM Al Avila and Florida vice president of player personnel Dan Jennings.

The team did not seek permission to interview San Diego manager Bud Black.

The new GM will be allowed to hire a new assistant GM, player-personnel director and farm director.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111025&content_id=25789918&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

That right there should make the Angels less appealing than the O's job.

Too much extra work.

Angelos and his cronies have already made it easy on our next GM by filling those positions already.

Angelos is so thoughtful like that.

That right there should make the Angels less appealing than the O's job.

Too much extra work.

Angelos and his cronies have already made it easy on our next GM by filling those positions already.

Angelos is so thoughtful like that.

You have been on a roll, man! Good stuff!

Archived