McCarver headed to Cooperstown

ScottP

Selected for the Ford Frick Award for "excellence in Major League Baseball broadcasting":

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

I must have missed something since my instinctive reaction is to hit the "mute" button when Gabby comes on the tube. Hope it's not too hot on Induction Day; if he holds to form, those folks are in for a lengthy acceptance speech.

I think in general, the idea that there are enough "great" broadcasters to add one per year to the Hall of Fame is absurd. Think about it -- there are about 200 new players entering MLB each season, and maybe 2-3 of those will make the Hall of Fame one day. It's a 100-1 shot. For that same ratio to apply to broadcasters, there would have to be 65 to 100 new broadcasters entering the market every year (2+ for every team in MLB). But in reality, the turnover rate in the broadcast booth is way lower than that.

I wish McCarver would retire, because he has declined into a very poor broadcaster. However, that's like saying that I wish Miguel Tejada would retire because he has declined into a very poor baseball player. It doesn't mean that Tejada (and McCarver) weren't great at what they do for a while, even if it is in the past.

I have no problem with McCarver going in the Hall.

I'll retract my disappointment at his induction if Deion Sanders gets to introduce him to Cooperstown. Heck, I'll drive to Cooperstown to see that.
a defining moment :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kO9jo8XkOfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Longevity is a valued commodity in baseball broadcasting. He's done it for a long time, on a large and far-reaching scale, and that's why he's being inducted. I don't claim to know what McCarver was like when he first started out, but most of my experience listening to him has been indifferent at best, and intolerable at worst. Were there more deserving people? Most likely. But, he has a platform and he has experience, and apparently that's a valuable thing to the voters.

Archived