On the Record: Better pitchers available that could be had for free instead of Eveland

Tony-OH

@ Tony ....I guess this is for a similar report

This guy is pretty close to Teagarden and could have been had for nothing.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/floreje02.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker

Not a pitcher ...But IMO it solidifies the point of the guy of players the Orioles have picked up so far.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tony, you neg repped for not naming guys for you? Kind of funny that because of a vote in a poll (I hadn't even posted on this topic) you want me to name some guys and neg rep me for not obeying. I did name people though: Jo Jo and Jaku, because they're just the same as Dana Eveland: warm bodies you can throw out on the mound to soak up some IP and give up some runs. Additionally, several other people have already listed dozens of names and I don't see the need to repeat them over and over.

Not that I'm going to get into the rep thing in the open, but if I negged repped you I betcha it was for more than "not obeying." If you have a problem with it address it to me through PM. I think everyone is over the whining and crying and ready to move on from that portion of the thread.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/floreje02.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker

Not a pitcher ...But IMO it solidifies the point of the guy of players the Orioles have picked up so far.

Johnny, I don't know a ton about this guy but a quick look at the stats would suggest they are similar. BTW, I've already said I think the O's gave up a too much for Teagarden. Miclat had value for me and Henry was at least intriguing. I give up one of those guys for Teagarden but not both. Regardless, Buck wanted Teagarden and DD got him without giving up a top 15 prospect. Overall I'm not too concerned with the trade but I hope whatever Buck knows about Teagarden is something that doesn't show up in his stats. Honestly, I think Eveland has a better chance to help the Orioles than Teagarden and the Orioles got him for less.

Or Heres a likely non tender guy with the Nats that is pretty close to Eveland

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gorzeto01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/baltimore_orioles/

Kubatko's colleague Pete Kerzel writes that the Nationals could non-tender Jesus Flores, Doug Slaten, and Tom Gorzelanny before tomorrow night's deadline.

Just saw that I was mentioned in the opening post. Off the top of my head, guys that are comparable to Eveland (and who could likely be signed as a low-cost FA or a minor-league FA) are Paul Maholm, Zach Duke, Dontrelle Willis, Ross Ohlendorf, etc. Kevin Slowey has been mentioned several times as well.

I just don't see Eveland becoming a useful starter. He might be OK as a lefty reliever, but that makes him no better than guys like Troy Patton and Zach Phillips who we already have in house. I'm not sure he'll even be better than Willie Eyre, the guy who was DFA'd to make room for him (I know Eyre's a righty, but still). Heck, the O's might non-tender Jo-Jo Reyes today, and I'm not sure he'd be any worse as a reliever than Eveland.

Do you really think Paul Maholm is in the same category? Slowly is already gone so he doesn't count, and Duke struggled even as a relieve and his stuff has been declining for years. Ross Ohlendorf's pitch value say his fastball and changeup have never been good, but Willis might be a guy I'd sign for depth on the cheap if I could.

Again, by pure numbers, I agree with you that Eveland may not end up being so great, but if the reports of him adding sink and improving his command are correct, he's worth the minor league depth guys we sent for him. If we had traded a real prospect of value I'd be against this trade but for Martin and Henson, I'll make this deal every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. ;)

Do you really think Paul Maholm is in the same category? Slowly is already gone so he doesn't count, and Duke struggled even as a relieve and his stuff has been declining for years. Ross Ohlendorf's pitch value say his fastball and changeup have never been good, but Willis might be a guy I'd sign for depth on the cheap if I could.

Again, by pure numbers, I agree with you that Eveland may not end up being so great, but if the reports of him adding sink and improving his command are correct, he's worth the minor league depth guys we sent for him. If we had traded a real prospect of value I'd be against this trade but for Martin and Henson, I'll make this deal every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. ;)

It was a poor deal and there was no reason to make it so soon in the offseason.

He wasn't going to be a guy that anyone wanted and he isn't that good.

As a pretty extreme FB pitcher, Tom Gorzelanny is not a good fit for the Orioles. Trust me, if Eveland wasn't sinking the ball now I'd be less "enthused" about him.

Yeah, I think we're pretty aware of your position on this deal and on Eveland.
At over 750 posts in two threads, I think we've covered about everything. Wouldn't you think? Who would have thought after Fielder, the top two trending topics on OH would be about two guys with chicks names?

At over 750 posts in two threads, I think we've covered about everything. Wouldn't you think? Who would have thought after Fielder, the top two trending topics on OH would be about two guys with chicks names?

FTW - owe you some! Who you calling my avatar a chick name????? :cussing::P

Archived