Why are the Orioles games not sold out right now?

Diehard_O's_Fan

WNST hasn't been whining about it, they have just commented on the story that was started by The Sun. Schmuck and Cowherd are the ones that have been chastising the fans for not going.

Good for them, I think its sad that we can only draw 12000 to a game, and then come all the BS excuses.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I was disappointed just watching the news yesterday and seeing the Ravens topping the sports segment. I'm a Ravens fan, and I know that yesterday was the day before the last preseason game, so they have to cover that. However, we're talking about the preseason, while the Orioles are in the thick of a playoff hunt and having their best season in over a decade. If this were the week leading up to a game that counted, I could understand that. However, it's not. I root for both devotedly, but it kind of highlighted an underlying reality, which is that deep down this is a football town, and it's that way due in no small part to the Orioles suckitude.

Good for them, I think its sad that we can only draw 12000 to a game, and then come all the BS excuses.

But they are not BS excuses. There are a lot of factors in play, but I think people are down playing the effect that the grand Prix is having right now. Have you been down town around the stadium? It's like a war zone down there with barriers everywhere, roads and parking lots closed, port-a-pots everywhere and general disarray. It's a mess and most people prefer to stay away from messes if they can. The other thing people don't want to admit to is the addition of every game on High Definition TV and the prevalence of nice big HD TVs in the home. Add in the first day/week of school for not only K-12 but also a lot of colleges and the current economic situation for some people and you have bad situation for getting fans to the ball park.

But they are not BS excuses. There are lot of factors in play but I think people are down playing the effect that the grand Prix is having right now. Have you been down town around the stadium? It's like a war zone down there with barriers everywhere, roads and parking lots closed, port-a-pots everywhere and general disarray. It's a mess and most people prefer to stay away from messes if they can. The other thing people don't want to admit to is the addition of every game on High Definition TV and the prevalence of nice big HD TVs in the home. Add in the first day/week of school for not only K-12 but also a lot of colleges and the current economic situation for some people and you have bad situation for getting fans to the ball park.

This x infinity!

I get so sick and tired of people *****ing about attendance. For all the people that complain, you'd think the place would be SRO every night. Do the complainers have 81 game plans? Even the next level down plans? Why not? I mean, why aren't THEY there every night? The reasons Tony throws out above are legit.

1. The economy sucks, and spending the money on ballgames isn't in some people's budgets.

2. HDTV's give you a great opportunity to watch games for relatively low cost.

3. Driving into the city on a weekday, after working all day, is not high on people's priority when they can watch the game at home. Throw in the race issues, and its even worse.

4. 14 years of losing baseball. I'm not one of the Angelos haters, and obviously most of us on here have watched the majority of games over the past 14 years, but the people on the OH are not the problem. The problem is getting casual fans to really believe in a franchise that has let us down for a decade and a half, and for 27 of the last 29 years!

5. School is back. Sorry us parents don't want to work all day, then come home and ignore their kids and their homework and their 8 MILLION things to sign for back to school paperwork.

So yeah, these reasons can be called "excuses" if you want, but they are legit. And worse yet, for many of us, ALL of these reasons combine to equal this....its easier and just as much fun to watch the game at home.

My plan is that when the youngest of the kids goes off to college, the wife and I will get a season ticket plan. But in the interim, I'll attend my 10 games a year and those who complain about me can go poop in their hat!

But they are not BS excuses. There are lot of factors in play but I think people are down playing the effect that the grand Prix is having right now. Have you been down town around the stadium? It's like a war zone down there with barriers everywhere, roads and parking lots closed, port-a-pots everywhere and general disarray. It's a mess and most people prefer to stay away from messes if they can. The other thing people don't want to admit to is the addition of every game on High Definition TV and the prevalence of nice big HD TVs in the home. Add in the first day/week of school for not only K-12 but also a lot of colleges and the current economic situation for some people and you have bad situation for getting fans to the ball park.

This x infinity!

I get so sick and tired of people *****ing about attendance. For all the people that complain, you'd think the place would be SRO every night. Do the complainers have 81 game plans? Even the next level down plans? Why not? I mean, why aren't THEY there every night? The reasons Tony throws out above are legit.

1. The economy sucks, and spending the money on ballgames isn't in some people's budgets.

3. Driving into the city on a weekday, after working all day, is not high on people's priority when they can watch the game at home. Throw in the race issues, and its even worse.

4. 14 years of losing baseball. I'm not one of the Angelos haters, and obviously most of us on here have watched the majority of games over the past 14 years, but the people on the OH are not the problem. The problem is getting casual fans to really believe in a franchise that has let us down for a decade and a half, and for 27 of the last 29 years!

5. School is back. Sorry us parents don't want to work all day, then come home and ignore their kids and their homework and their 8 MILLION things to sign for back to school paperwork.

So yeah, these reasons can be called "excuses" if you want, but they are legit. And worse yet, for many of us, ALL of these reasons combine to equal this....its easier and just as much fun to watch the game at home.

My plan is that when the youngest of the kids goes off to college, the wife and I will get a season ticket plan. But in the interim, I'll attend my 10 games a year and those who complain about me can go poop in their hat!

There is no doubt the Grand Prix is a big hassle. I went to the Red Sox game three weeks ago and my friend told me how much fun (sarcasm) it was getting around downtown. I avoided this by taking the light rail into town...as do many other fans. Last night's attendance was 13,098, O.K. I'll cross-post this from my attendance thread (maybe you should check it out sometime ;) ). I would venture a guess that school started in these towns and they also have HDTVs, and the same problem with the economy.
We beat KC's crowd tonight by 74 fans - take THAT KC! Cleveland beat us tonight by 1,314 but........umm.......O.K. I got nothing for that game ;)

Pittsburgh, also in a postseason chase drew 19,398 tonight, trouncing Baltimore, as did....

Cubs-Brewers match-up of also-rans in Wrigley - 33,271

Colorado is out of it, 25,155 tonight

Miami is enjoying a new stadium buzz and nothing else - 24,909

Arizona, a real long-shot to get to the postseason, drew 18,451

Stick a fork in San Diego, 16,845

There is no doubt the Grand Prix is a big hassle. I went to the Red Sox game three weeks ago and my friend told me how much fun (sarcasm) it was getting around downtown. I avoided this by taking the light rail into town...as do many other fans. Last night's attendance was 13,098, O.K. I'll cross-post this from my attendance thread (maybe you should check it out sometime ;) ). I would venture a guess that school started in these towns and they also have HDTVs, and the same problem with the economy.

Do they have a war-zone like downtown with walls everywhere impeding traffic?

This x infinity!

3. Driving into the city on a weekday, after working all day, is not high on people's priority when they can watch the game at home. Throw in the race issues, and its even worse.4. 14 years of losing baseball. I'm not one of the Angelos haters, and obviously most of us on here have watched the majority of games over the past 14 years, but the people on the OH are not the problem. The problem is getting casual fans to really believe in a franchise that has let us down for a decade and a half, and for 27 of the last 29 years!

I got it all except the bolded part. What are the race issues?

Why do you care so much? Aside from Angelos selling the team and moving out of Baltimore (which will NEVER be allowed to go down) why do people care so much? I know the players get pissed not seeing fans there, but they haven't been here for 14 losing seasons, 2 playoff appearance in 29 years, and no WS appearance in 29 years! Why do the fans care so much, and if they really care, then why aren't they there every game?

I went to the game Monday and Tuesday and found little to no issues with the Grand Prix prep.

Parked at Sheraton both nights, which is right off the race course. Sure there are barriers up and a few lanes of traffic closed, but hardly an issue.

This all comes down to 15 years of losing. Everything else is really just a minor factor.

Archived