Orioles offer Wieters extension, but no deal seems close

Greg

It's my own personal opinion that Cano wants a deal done yesterday, because he's probably facing a 50 game suspension. I think he believes that Boras would not be the man to get that deal done ASAP. This is purely my own speculation, I have no knowledge of the situation.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To prove he still has clients?

On a more serious note to show that he is willing to work on extensions for his clients?

He just got blindsided by Cano and took a big reputation hit. I am sure he wants his name out there in a more positive light.

Well he totally blew it for Mark Appel last draft. He lost Edwin Jackson when he could only get him a one year deal last year and this year with a new agent EJ got a four year deal. And the Lohse deal looks bad as well. Boras might be on his way out as an agent.

It's my own personal opinion that Cano wants a deal done yesterday, because he's probably facing a 50 game suspension. I think he believes that Boras would not be the man to get that deal done ASAP. This is purely my own speculation, I have no knowledge of the situation.

Interesting take. I wonder if the MLBPA has rules about the Yankees including some sort of clause should Cano get suspended. His value would have to go down.

What's the rush? The Orioles have Wieters through the 2015 season, which means three full years. That's a long time for a catcher. When he's up for free agency he'll be 29 years old and probably at or maybe a little bit past his peak.

I think given that context, Wieters is going to be more eager to get an extension done than the Orioles will at this point. Maybe that's why this was leaked, to put a little pressure on Baltimore to do a deal.

What's the rush? The Orioles have Wieters through the 2015 season, which means three full years. That's a long time for a catcher. When he's up for free agency he'll be 29 years old and probably at or maybe a little bit past his peak.

I think given that context, Wieters is going to be more eager to get an extension done than the Orioles will at this point. Maybe that's why this was leaked, to put a little pressure on Baltimore to do a deal.

Because the longer the O's wait, as long as Wieters is healthy, the more it will cost.

You also have a much better shot at extending him for 5-6 years now then you would getting him to sign a 3-4 year deal once he hits FA.

I love Wieters and predicted he will be MVO this year, but he isn't worth the coin. Imagine what we could get. Problem is: he is the centerpiece of our pitching staff. I am pro spending $, but what Boras is going to ask for isn't worth what it would cost. We can't get this team to spend any money as is, imagine if Wieters went down and were hampered by a bad contract. Angelos wouldn't spend any money for the next decade.

You think Peter is good for another ten plus then?

Because the longer the O's wait, as long as Wieters is healthy, the more it will cost.

You also have a much better shot at extending him for 5-6 years now then you would getting him to sign a 3-4 year deal once he hits FA.

There is risk involved in doing a deal now, and there is risk involved in waiting. The risk in doing it now is that the team is exposed to more injury risk, and the risk that Wieters fizzles or has to change positions at some point. The risk in waiting is that Wieters doesn't fizzle and his price goes up a lot, and maybe he decides he'd rather test the FA market and you can't lock him up at all.

From a financial point of view, I could see playing it either way. From a fan's point of view, Wieters is as "core" as it gets, and I want to know he'll be here through his prime years.

• 2 months later...

Honestly, they should trade him while his value is still higj. His value will only go down from here. Hes not getting any better and , as a catcher, the only plus side of his game (defense) will decline rapidly. If the Os could get a ToR pitcher for him they better do it. The difference between him and other cathers is no where near as great as O fans make it out to be. Hes NOT the centerpeice of our pitching rotation either. Hes disgustingly overrated in that aspect. Our pitchers always perform better whenever hes NOT behind the plate.

Trade him. Please dont offer him a rediculous contracr.

Honestly, they should trade him while his value is still higj. His value will only go down from here. Hes not getting any better and , as a catcher, the only plus side of his game (defense) will decline rapidly. If the Os could get a ToR pitcher for him they better do it. The difference between him and other cathers is no where near as great as O fans make it out to be. Hes NOT the centerpeice of our pitching rotation either. Hes disgustingly overrated in that aspect. Our pitchers always perform better whenever hes NOT behind the plate.

Trade him. Please dont offer him a rediculous contracr.

It would be nice to support your comments with facts, but I understand it may be difficult for you since the facts state otherwise. You are saying a guy that has won 2 gold gloves and is on his way to a 3rd, is overrated? His defensive numbers are improving as well. Just because he isnt hitting .300 with 12 homeruns so far, you dont think he is as valuable as everyone else thinks?

Well, Wieters is in the top 10 of all of baseball for every single offensive category except 3B and R. Yes, that also means he is in the top 10 for stolen bases.

I am not saying that we should sign him to Posey numbers. But I think you undervalue catching and what it would cost to replace him or what the actual drop off would be, especially offensively.

The O's should trade him this offseason for the following reasons:

1. Can't afford him, need to use the money for the starting rotation

2. He doesn't hit well enough to play anywhere but catcher.

3. His catching skills are likely to decline sooner than later

4. With two years until FA his value will never be higher

Alternatively the O's should just pay his arb numbers for the next two years and let him walk in free agency

Both Joe Torre and Joe Girardi, two guys who know a little something about catching, were willing to let Martin go. That should tell you something about Martin. I doubt Buck is willing to trade or let Wieters walk. But of course what does he know.

Both Joe Torre and Joe Girardi, two guys who know a little something about catching, were willing to let Martin go. That should tell you something about Martin. I doubt Buck is willing to trade or let Wieters walk. But of course what does he know.

They Dodgers were very concerned about Martin's health when they let him go and the Yankees were pretty obviously constrained by dollars. Martin is a very solid catcher when healthy. The guy put up consecutive 5.6 and 4.0 WAR numbers for the Dodgers in 2007/2008. Maybe he's not that catcher now, but he's sure having a heck of a year so far (7 WAR pace) outperforming Wieters in terms of WAR. That a team like Pirates would pay that much for him is pretty compelling. Not to mention (on the anecdotal side) it's my impression that Martin can frame pitches a heck of a lot better than Wieters can.

Archived