Is Wieters a disappointment?

Bradysburns

They guy manages the game better than almost all catchers in the league. He is a presence on the field and has all the intangibles that make the team better. I can only say I am disappointed in the performance of one player on this team so far this season and I am sure he will turn it around eventually. Reps to whomever guesses who that player is. It shouldn't be difficult to determine either.

If you hadn't said you were sure he'd turn it around, I'd have said Nolan. Since you did, I'm guessing Hardy or poss Kakes. JJ seems to be getting a power streak going now, which is nice to see.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the way Wieters performed offensively in the minors, yes, I was initially dissappointed in him - even by his rookie season. But I am completely over that now and have been for the past season and this one. He is not a Piazza type bat. What he is though is still excellent, an above average defender and and above average hitter - for his position.

I do think he will have at least one year in his career where offensively things click and he has an MVP type year and at the same time he may come back down to earth a bit defensively.

I think wearing the "switch-hitting Jesus" T-shirt these days would be an overreach, but I am happy as hell that we have Wieters. A good defensive catcher who stays healthy and has above-catcher-average hit and power tools is hard to find.

Here's the 2007 draft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

Out of the entire raft of 64 players drafted in round 1/1S, the only one with a better outcome so far is David Price, who went #1. Heyward (went #14) has had one great season (last year's 6.3 WAR year). Wieters has had three FULL years in the MLB, with 2.2, 4.7, 3.9 WAR years. Price's WAR over his three years (3.9, 4.3, 4.8). Those three have a lot of distance between their production and the rest of the field from that draft.

Just looking at what was available at #5 in the 2007 draft, I'd say we aced it with the Wieters pick (ask your local Pirates fan if we made a good pick that year, if you can finish your sentence without their head exploding).

Now what does his production say about his extension value? I dunno. He stays healthy, and I think he's got some growth left offensively -- I'd do 6/90 right now. I think there is upside and would want that deal done soon.

But as to the question of whether he's a disappointment? Compared to being switch-hitting Our Lord and Savior, yes. Out of the 2007 draft class and other Orioles drafts? I'd say we banged a double off the wall getting him. I'll take that all day and twice on Sunday.

Looking at that draft, the only player picked after Wieters in the first round that I would rather have is Bumgarner. Heyward is also a possibility, but he's been inconsistent. Overall though I'd say that those are the only two guys likely to have better careers than Wieters.

Crawjo - Agree with you about Bumgarner -- I missed him. WAR of 4.7 and 3.1 over the past two years. I totally agree with your point that considering what was on the board after Price, we done real good. I still take Wieters over Bumgarner or Heyward given C position scarcity.

Looking at that draft, the only player picked after Wieters in the first round that I would rather have is Bumgarner. Heyward is also a possibility, but he's been inconsistent. Overall though I'd say that those are the only two guys likely to have better careers than Wieters.

A friend of mine that is a Braves fan has assured me that Heyward would have been just about impossible to sign for a team other then the Braves.

I do think he will have at least one year in his career where offensively things click and he has an MVP type year and at the same time he may come back down to earth a bit defensively.

I can see consistent small improvements and then a 92 like Ripken year (maybe not quite) or two where he's seeing beachballs.

His status the following year is irrelevant to the aspect of the discussion I was having. His comp at draft time was Varitek. He was expected to be an All Star caliber player, not a HoF threat.

Very few guys are "projected" as HoF threats coming out of the draft. We were very, very happy when Wieters fell to us and then signed at 11:59 for what I recall was a record bonus. His bat was certainly more highly regarded than what he's done so far, even before he crushed at Frederick and Bowie.

Very few guys are "projected" as HoF threats coming out of the draft. We were very, very happy when Wieters fell to us and then signed at 11:59 for what I recall was a record bonus. His bat was certainly more highly regarded than what he's done so far, even before he crushed at Frederick and Bowie.

You misunderstood me slightly. I saw a projection for him after his year in the minors where he was given something like a 10%/HoF rating meaning that his ceiling was HoF and he had a 10% chance of reaching that ceiling.

That is what I was referring to.

Also everyone needs to keep in mind he led all MLB catchers in WAR in 2011. So for one season so far he was indeed "The best catcher in the game."

Wieters' bat, especially his AVG/OBP abilities, has been disappointing, I think.

But his defense has been enough better than advertised, and he's been excellent enough compared to his peers, that I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in the player he's become.

Wieters is 7th among catchers in fWAR since his debut in 2009.

5th among catchers since the start of 2010.

2nd among catchers since the start of 2011.

I want to see Matt hitting better, and I expect he will throughout the year and throughout his career. But he's undeniably one of the best, most reliable players at his position, and I just can't bring myself to complain about that.

Archived