Tonight I have lost all hope.

Gurgi

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The offense carried this team at the beginning of the season. The pitching still has issues only now it's the bullpen instead of the starters.

The bullpen pitching likely won't improve until rosters expand as it is what it it is - arms are tired and burnt out.

So until then, the option is to fix the offense to get it back to where it was to compensate for the pitching.

OK, I'll bite. How do we "fix the offense" for the rest of this year?

And how do we "fix" the offense?

Do you think we should fire the hitting coach??

It's almost like this whole thing has been leading up to that.

Move people around in the batting order, Machado for one, Markakis another. Neither are #2 or #3 hitters right now.

Markakis should be leading off and Machado should be batting somewhere in 7-9.

Get another bat at DH, somebody who will work the count and will get on base if they don't hit for power.

The message for the hitters needs to be to try to get as many baserunners as possible instead of trying to hit the ball out of the park on every swing. It's more pressure on a pitcher to pitch with runners on than it is after giving up a solo HR, and they are more prone to make mistakes so you can get the multi-run XBHs instead of just the solo dingers.

Move people around in the batting order, Machado for one, Markakis another. Neither are #2 or #3 hitters right now.

Get another bat at DH, somebody who will work the count and will get on base if they don't hit for power.

The message for the hitters needs to be to try to get as many baserunners as possible instead of trying to hit the ball out of the park on every swing. It's more pressure on a pitcher to pitch with runners on than it is after giving up a solo HR, and they are more prone to make mistakes so you can get the multi-run XBHs instead of just the solo dingers.

And how do we change the message they are hearing?

What would be the best way to do that iyo?

Ok, so:

1. Move around the batting order (which has almost no effect on runs).

2. Have guys increase their PPA and get on base more that they are now while not sacraficing anything else, like power. That should be pretty freaking easy. I'm not sure why the moron Presley hasn't thought of that before.

3. Get a better DH. Ok I think we can do probably better that Urritia but I don't see any major upgrade out there. Like I said, lots of teams looking for offense. Who did you have in mind? .

Case in point I would go after Adam Dunn from the White Sox. He works the pitcher every AB when he's not hitting HRs, and will take a walk to be a baserunner for somebody else to drive in.

Markakis

McLouth

Davis

Jones

Dunn

Hardy

Wieters

Machado

Roberts/Flaherty

Case in point I would go after Adam Dunn from the White Sox. He works the pitcher every AB when he's not hitting HRs, and will take a walk to be a baserunner for somebody else to drive in.

Markakis

McLouth

Davis

Jones

Dunn

Hardy

Wieters

Machado

Roberts/Flaherty

Ok, so two pretty worthless points and get Adam Dunn. I got it. Thanks for the specificity.

How much would you pay for Dunn?

2. Have guys increase their PPA and get on base more that they are now while not sacraficing anything else, like power. That should be pretty freaking easy. I'm not sure why the moron Presley hasn't thought of that before.

The guys that can't hit HRs shouldn't be trying to hit them and that includes Machado. Davis, Hardy and Jones are hot right now. Everybody else should be trying to get on base ahead of them.

Markakis

McLouth

Davis

Jones

Dunn

Hardy

Wieters

Machado

Roberts/Flaherty

Between now and the end of 2014, Dunn is due $20.6 million, and the White Sox have given no indication that they are willing to pickup any of it to help facilitate a deal. They sent $1 million to Texas only because trading Rios increased his salary by 500k each season.

The likelihood that the Orioles take on that much salary is extremely low, and you know that, if you follow this team.

Ok, so two pretty worthless points and get Adam Dunn. I got it. Thanks for the specificity.

How much would you pay for Dunn?

Well it has to be somebody not on the 40 man roster most likely so that eliminates some options.

I'd be willing to trade one of ERod, Wright, Walker, Marin or Ohlman however. Two of them if the White Sox eat some $.

Between now and the end of 2014, Dunn is due $20.6 million, and the White Sox have given no indication that they are willing to pickup any of it to help facilitate a deal. They sent $1 million to Texas only because trading Rios increased his salary by 500k each season.

The likelihood that the Orioles take on that much salary is extremely low, and you know that, if you follow this team.

The question was what would I do and Dunn is the bat I would go get. He's swinging a hot bat right now.

Salary is the price I pay to get to the playoffs to have a shot at the World Series. This club has to be willing to take on some salary.

The guys that can't hit HRs shouldn't be trying to hit them and that includes Machado. Davis, Hardy and Jones are hot right now. Everybody else should be trying to get on base ahead of them.

Nick/Mclouth/Machado are 1-2-3 in OBP (beside Jones/Davis) and all bat before Jones/Davis/Hardy.

Guys are trying to drive the ball and not hit home runs. It's amazing that you don't understand this. This topic has been well covered. Yes, we all get OBP is important. The Orioles are producing offensively and in most cases outperforming expectations. They offense is performing well, but you want more. Even guys with low walk rates like Jones and Machado. The only thing you can do is cherry pick a couple guys who aren't (i,e Nick/Wieters) whose struggles have nothing to do with plate discipline. Your points in this matter have been made and well refuted. They have no merit.

Since you made one actual valid point (Dunn), I'm wondering what you would pay for him.

Salary is the price I pay to get to the playoffs to have a shot at the World Series. This club has to be willing to take on some salary.

He's owed almost 20 mil between this year and next. How much would you take on in terms of money and prospects for him? Its not going to be "some". It's going to be a big chunk. Are you saying you'd take on the whole 20 mil?

He's owed almost 20 mil between this year and next. How much would you take on in terms of money and prospects for him? Its not going to be "some". It's going to be a big chunk. Are you saying you'd take on the whole 20 mil?

Like I said above, it depends on how much they could eat. If they wanted little back, I'd take the whole thing, yes.

It's only 1 year and a month really as he's already recieved some of that $20 million.

Nick/Mclouth/Machado are 1-2-3 in OBP (beside Jones/Davis) and all bat before Jones/Davis/Hardy.

Machado's OBP in the second half has been .268, so no he's not performing like that for the club right now. He's part of the problem.

Archived