Per the Sun: "Orioles most inactive team..."

MemorialStadKid

What a tired old argument that has been proven false multiple times on here. Duquette brought in 3/5s of the rotation , the left field/leadoff guy, several relievers and brought up Manny Machado during the playoff team of 2012, all moves that MacPhail would have never have done. Did McPahil acquire a lot of the core of the Orioles, yes, but he never was able to be flexible enough or move quickly enough to augment that core. MacPhail also had much bigger chips to trade than Duquette.

I'm not thrilled with Duquette's off season, but I feel like he's trying to at least bring in enough stones in order to find a diamond under his budget constraints.

Panning for gold. Nuggets.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have an owner with a large majority ownership of the TV rights to TWO major league franchises. Think about that. That's a lot of $ - so much that a major financial publication valued the MASN ownership at near $500M. The Os and MASN are worth nearly $1B per that publication. Our owner has little to worry about regarding the value of his investments (near $1B), relative to costs ($173M for the Os, perhaps $75M - risk free for MASN) or the annual free cash flow generated by the assets (est of $30M for the Os, about $40M for MASN, plus another $27M for the new TV rights deal - a large chunk of which appears will end up in our owner's pockets if not put into the team in 2014) - plus revenue from season ticket holders has been increasing for several years.

Bloomberg (I think you are referring to Bloomberg) don't have all the information and are conflating two different aspects of a man's holding. Does Bloomberg actually know how much debt the O's have or how much debt MASN is carrying? No, because these things are private information.

MASN is separate from the O's. There is no ifs ands or buts about it.. But this is typical of fans.. they see someone valuing something at some outrageous number and think it's fact or even based in reality.

O's and MASN aren't worth $1.1 billion. Nobody is gonna value them at that money and nobody is gonna pay that much for them.

It's more like the $600-700 million range.

There is little evidence left that would suggest anything other than PA making an enormous amount of $ on the Os as an investment or in annual cash flow - more likely both. It is PA's right to do this, of course, he owns the team. If he were owning the team as a matter of civic pride - to be a popular, well-liked billionaire, one would expect a larger payment to enable the team to compete better. That is clearly not the case. I once held out hope that PA would invest heavily into the team - especially the minor leagues (and he did once) - but that point has passed. As a baseball billionaire owner, PA is on his way to being thrown in with the Carl Pohldads.

Enormous amounts on the O's? At most the O's clear $30 million a year in "profit". Of that 75% of less goes to PA cause the O's have a group of owners.

I'm pretty sure he's out of options, but I'd be more interested in him then the Rule 5 guy we just picked up.

Minor league numbers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=castel001ale

Despite being a right hand hitter, he actually has better career numbers vs. RHP (.958 OPS vs. .861). I'd give him a look. Why not, how many scrubs do we have on the 40-man who could get booted. We dont have much in terms of the OF depth and a massive hole in LF

Splits: http://minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=543008&split=3000

Let's not let facts get in thw way of a good story. Angelos net worth is more than 1 billion and likely approaches 1.5 billion. As for the Orioles debt, that is likely driven by accounting decisions and tax planning. I have rrun a private company with 1billion in revenue so I am very familiar with the types of things private companies do in these areas. Angelos is a fraud as an owner. He is a loser. The win loss record of his tenure says it all.

How about this reality... no one is considering..

O's are a mid market team. O's don't have a sweet heart of a tv deal. O's were WARNED by MLB over it's debt along with 8 other teams two years ago. So we know the O's have debt and currently the limiting of the budget is to get rid of that debt. That the O's aren't profitable and it's MASN keeping the O's afloat and that's why there is no money around.

The biggest of them all...

Peter Angelos is not super rich in terms of franchise owners. He's not a billionaire. Most of his net worth is rolled up into the O's and MASN so there are no other revenue streams out there. PA is up in age and Maryland screws you on taxes on your estate.. ask the Jack Kent Cooke's family.

The reality is the O's and PA might be getting ready for a future sale. Probably, as mentioned earlier in this topic, in the next two years.

Bloomberg (I think you are referring to Bloomberg) don't have all the information and are conflating two different aspects of a man's holding. Does Bloomberg actually know how much debt the O's have or how much debt MASN is carrying? No, because these things are private information.

MASN is separate from the O's. There is no ifs ands or buts about it.. But this is typical of fans.. they see someone valuing something at some outrageous number and think it's fact or even based in reality.

O's and MASN aren't worth $1.1 billion. Nobody is gonna value them at that money and nobody is gonna pay that much for them.

It's more like the $600-700 million range.

Enormous amounts on the O's? At most the O's clear $30 million a year in "profit". Of that 75% of less goes to PA cause the O's have a group of owners.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/137008-New-Summary-of-Os-Nats-MASN-TV-Rights/page3?highlight=nats+masn

You might want to acquaint yourself with the links and discussions in this thread regarding MASN before you start saying what is "typical" of fans. PA is clearing near $40M on MASN based on the $ the Lerners received per the WaPo in that link on p3.

So $30M for the Os, $40M from MASN, $25M more $ from the Os based on National TV deal with little incremental payroll for the Os - that about $95M in round numbers. These numbers get to be so big, and are hinted at in so many articles and are in line with what is going on in other franchises that it increasingly is difficult to explain it any way other than PA making humongous profits on the Os.

I'm beginning to wonder if Dan Duquette actually attended the Winter Meetings. Maybe that was his doppleganger who I saw on the MLB Network. Anyone know if Dan Aykroyd has a solid alibi for the week?

dan-aykroyd-ghostbusters.jpg

:rofl:

What's amazing is that you use the same letters Dan Duquette as you do for Dumpster Diving.

MSK

Let's not let facts get in thw way of a good story. Angelos net worth is more than 1 billion and likely approaches 1.5 billion. As for the Orioles debt, that is likely driven by accounting decisions and tax planning. I have rrun a private company with 1billion in revenue so I am very familiar with the types of things private companies do in these areas. Angelos is a fraud as an owner. He is a loser. The win loss record of his tenure says it all.

PA isn't even on Forbes billionaire list. Don't let those facts get in the way. MLB will disagree with you on with regards to the O's debt.

Now maybe your problem with PA is clouding your "experience" in a $1 billion valued company.. but you have very little knowledge to make guesses on what's the O's finances are like and you should know not to do that.. since you are "experienced".

Archived