Yankee Brian Roberts. (Update: Signs for $2M+)

Greg

I've noticed that this board largely doesn't like BRob... but that's not true at the ballpark. The games I've gone to have seen him get a warm reception. No matter what the consensus is here, he's a fan favorite.

Regardless... allow me to speak on Brian. I've defended him on this board - and felt in the vast minority - but there's a good reason for my loyalty. I've been on the O's bandwagon since 1966 (yes, I'm getting old) --- and driven the 6 hours (each way) from NC to MD for over 35 years, watching some 50+ games in person (including 3 this past year), so I feel the right to say this:

Bobby Grich was really good, but he played a lot more years (and his best ball) with the Angels. Davey Johnson was really good, but never played for us like he did the Braves. HOFer Roberto Alomar was great (better than BRob) and gave us 3 exceptional years, BUT... he came for the cash and he quickly left us for more cash - and his heart was with Toronto, as he wore a Blue Jays cap into the shrine. Brian Roberts, career-wise and all things considered, is the best second baseman we've ever had. I know he's gotten older... I know he's been injury-prone (since 2010)... but he played with spunk most of this past year. We needed his maturity and professionalism --- and losing Brian, especially to the Yankees, will be a blow.

The power he showed late in the year... the tenacity he demonstrated at the plate... the leadership he carried --- these are all things the 2014 Orioles need. I'm all about Schoop in the near future - but I believe it's fair to say that he is a year or two off. BRob, at a "homer" price to stay, was the answer... and we could throw our big money at a starting top-of-the-order pitcher (and maybe at LF).

Again, I know this board largely doesn't like him --- and this is still a free country, so haters can hate --- but BRob should be more appreciated by more people (this board included). It'll kill me if he goes to the Yanks - but if PA, DD, et al, allow him to slip away, then I wish the very best for him. In my opinion, we were starting to see the old BRob returning at the end of the season (and being hurt DID put rust on his game).

He's in great physical shape (let's face it, his body has 3-4 less years on it because of his injuries)... he ran the bases fast - which tells me that his basestealing will somewhat return... and he certainly showed pop in his bat. I think he has at least one more good year in him. Old-timers can help me remember, but I seem to recall that the Yanks wanted him (or at least were rumored to want him) back in his prime - before his big contract --- so it doesn't surprise me that they are looking at him now.

I wish him the best no matter what. BRob will be in the Orioles HOF pretty quickly (after he does retire) - and that honor will be well deserved.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, anybody who holds this against Roberts should think before they open their mouth. The Yankees are the only team out there willing to offer him a starting job. Not the Orioles of course, we need to save our marbles for big offseason acquisitions like Grant Balfour.

Resigning Roberts would be a bigger waste of money than signing Cruz. At least Cruz would be an upgrade in LF. Roberts is older, not nearly as good, and much more expensive than Flaherty and he can't stay on the field.

Little do the Yankees know that their signing of Brian Roberts was all just a part of DD evil plan to unleash Apocalypse upon the AL East. In a rare loss of emotional control, a furious Peter Angelos hurriedly scribbled his signature on contracts for Choo, Garza, Santana and Balfour that DD just happened to have in his back pocket.

Witnesses report seeing Pete stroking a Topps Brian Roberts baseball card and saying the word Precious quite frequently

He can still work a count, play league average defense, and towards the end showed some power with 5HR in Sept that would play up nicely in Yankee stadium.

We tend to mock the Yankees for their love affair with old farts, but those old farts understand the game and often help the Yanks win some games one way or another. I wouldn't be all surprised if he posts a .320+ OBP and outperforms our collection of 2B misfits in 2014.

As for booing. I won't. We obviously don't want him so its not like he is giving us the finger or anything. Dude wants to keep playing and someone is offering him a job. If he decides to take it good for him.

Little do the Yankees know that their signing of Brian Roberts was all just a part of DD evil plan to unleash Apocalypse upon the AL East. In a rare loss of emotional control, a furious Peter Angelos hurriedly scribbled his signature on contracts for Choo, Garza, Santana and Balfour that DD just happened to have in his back pocket.

Witnesses report seeing Pete stroking a Topps Brian Roberts baseball card and saying the word Precious quite frequently

Rep worthy, I laughed.

More power to BRob. He has a better chance to see a WS with the MFY than with this mess of a team. Sad. Last year we had a flat payroll after a playoff run, this year we are cutting payroll when every other team in the MLB except mysteriously the O's have an extra 25M to play with. Go figure.

More power to BRob. He has a better chance to see a WS with the MFY than with this mess of a team. Sad. Last year we had a flat payroll after a playoff run, this year we are cutting payroll when every other team in the MLB except mysteriously the O's have an extra 25M to play with. Go figure.

Sad but true. Will miss you Brob.

I gotta laugh. The Yankees are taking the O's scraps.

Otoh, for the O's fans who stood by Brian during the tough times (which don't include me), they have to be heart-broken. I know it's a business, but choosing to finish his career with the Yankees? Wow.

It is a bit premature to react as if Roberts is already a Yankee based on one Ken Rosenthal tweet that the Yankees are "likely" to sign him. And I find it ridiculous that some posters are calling him "greedy" for signing with the Yanks when there isn't any report of what he's been offered, if he's even gotten a formal offer, or what other teams have made offers to him or had contact with his agent. What we do know is that the Orioles haven't even contacted his agent. I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset with BRob from going wherever is best for him under those circumstances.

In any event, while I supported BRob last season and thought he did a decent job, it's OK with me if Duquette wants to go in another direction. I wouldn't necessarily say that BRob "has very little left in the tank," but his overall contribution isn't what it was in 2009, and the O's may be better off allowing younger players to show what they can do. I'd be fine bringing BRob back on an inexpensive deal, but if DD feels otherwise I'm fine with that, too. Just deal with LF and DH, please!

True' date=' but don't you just know if he becomes a Yankee he'll all of a sudden go back to an 800 OPS player again magically.[/quote']

I totally agree with this! Not because of Roberts all the sudden becoming his old self but because the RF porch in NY is a joke. Remember that time Robert Andino parked one 10 rows deep in right center field in Yankee stadium?

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, he isn't a Yankee yet. This could all be to get an offer from the O's for all we know. (Not directed at the post I'm quoting but in general)

Tp paraphrase Roy, " both sides don't owe each other anything". I won't be upset or ill if Roberts signs with the Yankees. It will be the result of a business decision on both sides. Obviously, Roberts wants to pusue his career, and the Orioles have moved on. That's the baseball business.

Archived