Schmuck: The Orioles need to be bold and turn 2B job over to Schoop

Roll Tide

It's highly doubtful. Schoop at his absolute best is probably worth 3 wins this year; Weeks/Flaherty at his worst is probably a replacement player. Over 30-40 games that's a difference of about 0.6 wins. And that's the most extreme case. Most likely, Schoop is worth about the same as Weeks or Flaherty or whomever, or maybe half a win more over the whole season. In which case there's no real difference over 30-40 games.

Thank God real baseball folk don't base their decisions on things like this - playing a superior player will only get us .6 WAR, so it makes no difference.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the feeling we're re-signing JJ.

I agree and don't have an issue with this. Don't think it woudl be smart to spend 12-15 mio per year on a aging middle infeilder, when we have younger core guys like Weiters and Davis to resign, and an obvious replacement.

Thank God real baseball folk don't base their decisions on things like this - playing a superior player will only get us .6 WAR, so it makes no difference.

That's not at all what he said, and from all indications you've either purposefully or obliviously missed the point of his using WAR in the post in the first place.

If he's not that caliber of prospect, why the need to have him up here? If he's not that great, he won't make much difference.

I don't get your logic. There have been tons of guys who came up for short time amount of time and helped the team win games. If he is better than the guy he is taking the place of and he is getting regular playing time it makes no sense not to bring him up. Once Manny is activated he won't get regular playing time so you send him down to triple A and let Flaherty sink or swim.

One game can be the differnce between making the playoff and getting an early vacation.

And we're only talking ONE game here! Any he's performance, on any given day, might sway the outcome either way. Weeks might steal a base, AGon might hit a double, Schoop might hit an Earl Special. What I'm saying is the MINIMAL difference is NO reason to shoot your wad keeping Schoop up! Send him down till he FORCES himself onto the ML roster. Better for his development and our team.

This team is absolutely, 100% in win NOW mode. Schoop may be great long term, he may just be average, but right NOW, he's the best option we have at second with flaherty playing at third for manny.

And manny is out a minimum of 10 games on the 15 day dl but there in no guarantee he comes back immediately or god forbid, has a setback.

Go with schoop, his bat is hot right now and this team needs to try and rack up wins early. I understand the war argument against him staying up, but I also think it sends the message to the rest of baseball that we are going for it now as opposed to biding our time.

And who knows, if schoop rakes and flaherty flounders, maybe when manny comes back schoop stays up and flash becomes the super utility player.

I think it's worth a shot seeing how he does for the first month before just automatically sending him down to save a year of his service. I absolutely understand the argument the other way but as I said, a team that is in win now mode and plays in an extremely tough division can't afford to bat Casilla or weeks for a whole month. Our lineup is incredibly strong this year, why give the opposing team a break in the nine hole when we can keep the pressure on with a young talent like schoop.

Just my 2 cents.

And we're only talking ONE game here! Any he's performance, on any given day, might sway the outcome either way. Weeks might steal a base, AGon might hit a double, Schoop might hit an Earl Special. What I'm saying is the MINIMAL difference is NO reason to shoot your wad keeping Schoop up! Send him down till he FORCES himself onto the ML roster. Better for his development and our team.

Schoop may have already FORCED his way into the lineup.

There is an opening with Manny on the DL and Schoop has put up numbers that say he can fill it.

Schoop may have already FORCED his way into the lineup.

There is an opening with Manny on the DL and Schoop has put up numbers that say he can fill it.

The guy is hitting .400/.436/.686 this spring. If you can "force" your way onto a roster in spring training, I'd say he has done about all he can do.

The guy is hitting .400/.436/.686 this spring. If you can "force" your way onto a roster in spring training, I'd say he has done about all he can do.

He had done every bit of his part and more. The shine is definitely back on this prospect.

Archived