Schmuck: The Orioles need to be bold and turn 2B job over to Schoop

Roll Tide

He is obviously on a minor league contract. He was sent to Twin Lakes.

No. He was claimed off major league waivers. That means he is on a major league contract at the moment. The O's would have to DFA him and expose him to waivers again to get him to a minor league contract.

You guys seem to be going to great lengths to try to find a way to not have Schoop on the Opening Day roster. I don't think it is going to work. Schoop is the likely Opening Day second baseman.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. He was claimed off major league waivers. That means he is on a major league contract at the moment. The O's would have to DFA him and expose him to waivers again to get him to a minor league contract.

You guys seem to be going to great lengths to try to find a way to not have Schoop on the Opening Day roster. I don't think it is going to work. Schoop is the likely Opening Day second baseman.

You are right. It was mis-reported. He is on the 40 man roster. He's still at Twin Lakes. And Schoop is still a long shot.

How much did Manny strike out when he first came up?

Manny was slightly less strikeout prone than Schoop as a minor leaguer. Schoop isn't awful either, striking out about once every 5.25 PA in AAA last year. That's not great, but not awful either. As a major leaguer, he'd probably strike out about as often as Adam Jones did in his first year with us.

Schoop has way too much long term implications for this club to let him break camp with the O's. I really like Schoop, and I think he will be here a long time, and that he will play in Baltimore this year. But not until we protect our control of him for an additional year.

Manny was slightly less strikeout prone than Schoop as a minor leaguer. Schoop isn't awful either, striking out about once every 5.25 PA in AAA last year. That's not great, but not awful either. As a major leaguer, he'd probably strike out about as often as Adam Jones did in his first year with us.

Thanks. Schoop swings real hard.

Doesn't seem like any one knows what they are talking about here, I sure don't, but if he has an option why would they need to waive him?

Great lengths?

1. Lack of a minor league track record.

2. Service time.

3. Serviceable options ahead of him.

None of those are even remotely "great lengths." It's not like we're saying he shouldn't be with the team because he can't properly lay down a bunt or play catcher in case Wieters gets injured.

Even in his strongest sample size, this spring training, he's striking out a ton. Just recently, in AFL, he crapped the bed. Let the kid settle into AAA and really prove he belongs with the club.

What Schmuck is calling "Bold" here is really just a short-sighted knee-jerk reaction to spring training. Spring training. Again, spring training. If it mattered at all, beyond staying healthy and getting some reps in, Jake Fox would be on his way to the HOF.

Doesn't seem like any one knows what they are talking about here, I sure don't, but if he has an option why would they need to waive him?

They are saying he is on minor league contract --- Which is he not. He is on a major league contract at the moment.

Per Roch: "Infielder David Adams, claimed off waivers last night from the Indians, is flying to Florida this morning. He's on the major league roster, but it's unclear whether he will report to the Ed Smith Stadium complex or be optioned and head to Twin Lakes Park.

"We'll take care of that later today," Duquette said." http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/03/duquette-on-ayala-and-wallace-signings.html

Read the tea leaves. All of the OD day starters are in the lineup today. Where is Jon Schoop? The O's protect his service clock and give him some more AAA time. The writing is on the wall.

You are reading too much into today's lineup. Read these leave. Weeks - .125 avg., Schoop 394 avg.

Archived