Schmuck: The Orioles need to be bold and turn 2B job over to Schoop

Roll Tide

It isn't an issue of Weeks v Schoop. The 2B job is Flaherty's when Manny comes back. It is an issue of who fills in while Manny is a way. They would seem to feel it is better for Schoop to go to Norfolk and not burn his service time.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weeks did not hit well in 2012 and not great even in AAA last year. However, a 4/28 spring certainly isn't what we should expect for him going forward. Plenty of guys have hit .500 in spring and then tanked when the season started. The opposite is also true. I don't expect much from Weeks offensively but it wouldn't surprise me if he hit .250, drew a few walks, and stole a few bases. He has not hit but he has handled 2B okay and shown good plate discipline numbers. Ultimately, it doesn't come down to your argument of why you think Schoop should start over Weeks. It comes down to what actually happens. And it sure looks like Schoop is going down to Norfolk to start the year. It doesn't matter what you want. Sorry to say.

So you are saying that since Weeks has started two games in a row at 2B, he is the OD starter. Kind of thin evidence. Schoop, Casilla and Flaherty have also started at 2B since the off day.

So you are saying that since Weeks has started two games in a row at 2B, he is the OD starter. Kind of thin evidence. Schoop, Casilla and Flaherty have also started at 2B since the off day.
When was the last time Flaherty played 2B this spring?

Schoop has way too much long term implications for this club to let him break camp with the O's. I really like Schoop, and I think he will be here a long time, and that he will play in Baltimore this year. But not until we protect our control of him for an additional year.

I think that this is probably the best argument, and one that I agree with.

I had previously stated that if Buck and Duquette think that he's the best man (while Machado is hurt) then they should go with him, but I just changed my mind.

Thanks.

I think that this is probably the best argument, and one that I agree with.

I had previously stated that if Buck and Duquette think that he's the best man (while Machado is hurt) then they should go with him, but I just changed my mind.

Thanks.

No way that I lose a year of control of Schoop for the limited games Manny is out.

No way that I lose a year of control of Schoop for the limited games Manny is out.

Over time, I've become convinced that it's pretty rare for a player to be called up and spend six straight years in the majors without ever being sent down for a spell due to struggling performance. If we need Schoop on the team on March 31, put him there. The rest will sort itself out over time.

Archived