Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice concentration with 2 strikes in the ninth after failing to get the bunt down.

The best thing about that AB...He hits the low and away slider. On the Yankees telecast David Cone, who actually makes that telecast watchable, noted that the book in the first week was "can't hit the breaking ball." If he hits a few more of those he starts to take the advantage back.

Ideally, Schoop would still be in the minors polishing his game, but I am enjoying this preview of what he has to offer. There's no question he has the talent to be a good first-division starter in the infield.

I agree with you on the extra seasoning but with Manny running in a pool we do get the pleasure of great ninth inning ABs. You don't think he sticks when Manny comes back?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Of course. I'm presupposing he continues to play well as he has.

I would guess depending on how well he does and Flaherty/Lombardozzi would depend on who goes down. He would have to play really well and one of those two really bad for him to stay. Flaherty is the backup SS so Schoop will have to rake for the next month to have any chance.

I hate to say this but maybe it's a blessing in disguise Manny is not starting. It gave Schoop an opportunity that he may not have gotten otherwise. Schoop looks like he could be great like Manny, and then when Manny comes back they will be an awesome duo. Blessing in disguise?

Your title is misleading.

Schoop isn't the blessing in disguise, Machado's injury is.

When all the players are back, is Duquette going to want to send Schoop to Norfolk for the service time issue? Or is that not an issue now?

When all the players are back, is Duquette going to want to send Schoop to Norfolk for the service time issue? Or is that not an issue now?

I don't think Schoop has done enough to show that he has nothing else to learn in AAA.

I agree with you on the extra seasoning but with Manny running in a pool we do get the pleasure of great ninth inning ABs. You don't think he sticks when Manny comes back?

Don't know. It depends on how he, Flaherty and Lombardozzi are all doing at the time. I think the default is still Schoop to the minors, but it's in his control to change that by playing well, showing he's not overmatched by major league breaking stuff, playing good defense, etc.

This was by design. Did not want to call that injury any sort of blessing.

I have a feeling that Schoop is playing his way into an everyday job at the Major League level right now. My guess is that Schoop has played his last minor league game, and that we have a really nice problem on our hands. His kind of power in a middle infielder is a very rare commodity. I was one that called for trading Hardy all offseason long, while he was at absolute peak value. I still think that would have been the smart thing to do.

Schoop will be good. The tools are there. He's only 9 months older than Machado and Machado got the pleasure of hitting in front of Chris Davis all last year. The thing with Schoop is that he needs to walk more. But being early in his career and hitting in the bottom of the lineup he's getting pitched to alot. That slider he hit off Tanaka will shake up some scouting reports for sure.

Archived