Orioles Pitching without Wieters

webbrick2010

I don't know whether Wieters is good or not at these things. All I can know about it is that people in the business in a position to know about these things seem to think he is, and people who are in no position to know, seem to think he isn't.

I think the numbers largely agree, if you don't get too crazy about his performances. The consensus of the numbers, at least by my reading, is that he's a pretty good catcher, if not Yadier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>O's starters have allowed 5 ER or more in 6 of the last 9g with an ERA of 7.94 in that time. Not one 7 IP start in that time.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does anyone actually believe the pitching would be better with Wieters? I don't think so. Who the catcher is, doesn't really matter. Our pitching is mediocre. It's very inconsistent.

I think the folks commenting now are doing so in reaction to the posters who were trying to make a case that the pitching improved when Wieters stopped catching.

20 light tosses tells you little except there was no INITIAL discomfort. Sunday may be more telling. He may have 4 or 5 more of these sessions. If theres no discomfort then, I think I'd be reasonably optimistic.Then onto E.S.T.

The loss of Wieters is huge. Every night I appreciate him more. And I really appreciated him before.

We can always be optimistic and hope for the best but I believe it is too early.

Unfortunately, I believe Matt will be having to go the surgical route here before too long.

That's a good thing get his fixed for 2015. This team is going no where in 2014.

Archived