Should the O'S bring back Alejandro De Aza?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Other than the playoffs, Lough literally did all of those things.

Over a very limited number of PAs. Is he the guy who produced like he did for the 60ish PAs over Aug and September or is he the guy who was outmatched as he was in April through June?

With the heavy half of a LF platoon, my preference would be to go with De Aza and his record over 2000ish ABs -- even if I have to pay an extra $5M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It boils down to this: Lough made a lousy impression his first month on the job (at the plate, anyway), while De Aza made a great one. And people have a hard time changing their first impressions.

Not imo. De Aza was a good buy low guy at the time we got him and I liked the deal then. It boils down to De Aza having a better track record, wider exposure to ML pitching, a better approach and plate discipline, likely better power, more upside, a better ability to perform against RHP in a platoon situation (that is if his unusually horrid results against LHP last year can't be corrected), and a better bet to produce actual results.

Besides that, I'm not convinced the defense in LF will end up being that big of a difference.

Duquette mentioned the fact that he was controlled through next year when first interviewed after the trade for De Aza.

De aza stays.

Agreed. I think it was said that De Aza was a guy that the organization tried to obtain previously as well. Sounds like the organization likes him and we got him on an off year as a buy low candidate.

Other than the playoffs, Lough literally did all of those things.

I like Lough too.

De Aza has more power though, seems to hit more line drives. (No I have not looked up his stats)

It's hard to hit like drives when you aren't getting playing time. I don't recall many Lough at bats where he played to his strengths.

You probably could have said the same thing about Steve Pearce not so long ago. Lough hit well with KC last year and hit well after a terrible start this year. He never regained full trust from Buck again though. That alone suggests that they prefer De Aza over Lough.
DD said as much when they traded for DeAza. When asked why De Aza over Lough, he said, "we think De Aza is the more consistent hitter."

I honestly can't understand why people seem to prefer De Aza to Lough. Is there an actual concrete statistic we're using to make that decision or is it just the eye test?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3371&position=OF - DeAza

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7215&position=OF - Lough

De Aza wOBA 2013/2014 - 98 / 94

Lough wOBA 2013 / 2014 - 97 / 95

Both players have rough splits facing LHP. De Aza is older, but not old. De Aza has an edge offensively, but it really isn't very much unless we're assuming 2015 will be a bounceback year. Lough is without a doubt the superior defender and costs significantly less.

Just curious, but is there a reason you exclude De Aza's numbers before 2013?

After the hot start, I don't think he looked very good. His bat looked so slow in the playoffs. He got lucky a few times and yanked some balls past the first baseman down the line. But, most at bats he lazily fouled off good pitches to hit and struckout or hit lazy grounders. I don't know about Lough either, but at least he is cheaper and I'm okay with that price as a backup.

The O's should look elsewhere for OF help. My vote is for Scott Van Slyke from the Dodgers. He needs a shot as an everyday player and that is not going to happen with the Dodgers and that seems to be what the Orioles offer players. He could play LF, RF, 1B, or DH. Has good OBP and SLG and advanced fielding metrics like his defense. Plus, he is cheap. I would trade Hunter, Matusz, and some C+ prospects. He would look great in an O's uniform.

After the hot start, I don't think he looked very good. His bat looked so slow in the playoffs. He got lucky a few times and yanked some balls past the first baseman down the line. But, most at bats he lazily fouled off good pitches to hit and struckout or hit lazy grounders. I don't know about Lough either, but at least he is cheaper and I'm okay with that price as a backup.

The O's should look elsewhere for OF help. My vote is for Scott Van Slyke from the Dodgers. He needs a shot as an everyday player and that is not going to happen with the Dodgers and that seems to be what the Orioles offer players. He could play LF, RF, 1B, or DH. Has good OBP and SLG and advanced fielding metrics like his defense. Plus, he is cheap. I would trade Hunter, Matusz, and some C+ prospects. He would look great in an O's uniform.

De Aza's "slow" bats was pretty productive in the postseason with an 867 OPS. If only the O's would have had more slow bats like that.

Archived