Victor Martinez, 36 - 4 yrs/$68M - Torn Medial Meniscus

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they're saying he's out for spring training and questionable for the start of the season. If V-Mart misses significant time, Detroit should seriously think about putting Castellanos at DH and finding a glove at 3B. The middle infield looks very good (Iglesias, Kinsler) but Nick is a rock out there at the hot corner.

Will it affect his ability to drive the ball, like Cabrera's ankle did for him?

If it is just a meniscal tear I would not expect his hitting to be affected much if at all. Any type of running cutting twisting or pivoting that is needed in fielding would be more of an issue. However, if it's more than just a meniscal tear then all bets are off.

And THIS, my friends, is why you don't sign Nelson Cruz to a 4 year 60 million dollar contract, no matter how great 2014 was in Baltimore.

or Cano to his $240 million dollar contract (or whatever $$$ he got).

Not sure the exact ratio, but I believe the metrics on high price contracts that actually worked well for the teams is pretty miniscule.

or Cano to his $240 million dollar contract (or whatever $$$ he got).

Not sure the exact ratio, but I believe the metrics on high price contracts that actually worked well for the teams is pretty miniscule.

This is always a tough one to measure. While you are correct, I think there is a lot more from an off-field perspective that has to go into the analysis. Signing a marquee name helps drive ticket sales, jerseys, TV ratings, etc. despite (albeit correlated to some degree) actual on-the-field production. Seattle/Cano is just as much a "put us on the map" type of deal as it is a baseball one, IMO. And a team like the Yankees almost HAS to give out big deals to keep their status with their fans in NY as well as around the world. Long-story-short... a deal like Cano's is much more convoluted math to determine win/lose on than a guy like Cruz's.

This is always a tough one to measure. While you are correct, I think there is a lot more from an off-field perspective that has to go into the analysis. Signing a marquee name helps drive ticket sales, jerseys, TV ratings, etc. despite (albeit correlated to some degree) actual on-the-field production. Seattle/Cano is just as much a "put us on the map" type of deal as it is a baseball one, IMO. And a team like the Yankees almost HAS to give out big deals to keep their status with their fans in NY as well as around the world. Long-story-short... a deal like Cano's is much more convoluted math to determine win/lose on than a guy like Cruz's.
I really think that is just voodoo to sell those deals. Those name signings don't drive attendance or ratings a bit more than having a competitive team does. And the only sales that matter with jerseys and such are those bought at the stadium. The rest goes in a pool.

I really think that is just voodoo to sell those deals. Those name signings don't drive attendance or ratings a bit more than having a competitive team does. And the only sales that matter with jerseys and such are those bought at the stadium. The rest goes in a pool.

Fair point. For a team like the Yankees, though, I do feel they are almost obligated to make at least one large signing every year to keep the wheels turning on the global relevance of their brand.

I am not a doctor but no, it's not. Manny's was the patellar tendon (sp?) that holds the kneecap in place.

The problem with these kinds of meniscus injury is that the knee no longer has it's lubricants. So it is constant pain. It never gets better. Only worse.

Archived