Jim Palmer Quotes 2015 Edition

TonySoprano

Certainly went out if his way to stress Beltre's standing among third basemen in THIS era, THIS era... In THIS era last night.

Heh, I noticed that too. He obviously didn't want a Cal Ripken "sorry, Brooksie" situation.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THAT assumes it is HE who is doing his "Tweets".

It kinda bugs me when famous people have others handling their social media accounts. I hope Jim is handling his own Twitter account, but some of his tweets don't exactly come across like Jim talks. He has posted a photo or two of himself, though, so until I hear otherwise (Mr. Firestone?), I'll assume it's double-deuce doing the tweeting.

o

I didn't see more than 20 minutes of tonight's game, and I heard Palmer call Nick Martinez "Nick Markakis" one and-a-half times.

One time he called him " Nick Markakis," and then a minute or two later he started to say, "Nick Mark", then corrected himself and said, "Nick Martinez."

HE IS STILL by far the best analyst we have, and probably the best analyst the game of baseball has. By far.

I used to call Jeremy Guthrie "William" Guthrie, because in addition to being an Oriole fan I'm a boxing fan, and he (William Guthrie) used to be the light-heavyweight champion of the world.

It's name association. It was not a critique of Palmer as an analyst, it was simply an observation that I found interesting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I have had an epiphany ..I am as deep as the shallow end of a swimming pool..lol</p>— Jim Palmer (@Jim22Palmer) <a href="

">July 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HE IS STILL, by far, the best analyst we have and probably the best analyst the game of baseball has. By far.

Are there any other good analysts on local TV broadcasts? I hear the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets TV crews fairly regularly, and listen in to the Jays and Rays once in a while. I hear the others rarely or not at all.

Other than Palmer and Ron Darling (who is neither as informative nor as entertaining as Jim, but has improved a lot in the last couple of years), I haven't heard any good analysts. Jerry Remy has some charm and doesn't mind criticizing RS players, but that's about it.

I don't know about other teams color guys but I know and like that Palmer talks to guys that we play too. He obviously wants the team to do well but he'll criticize bad play too. We're fortunate to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Chicks...dig...the long....ball.....that's all I have to say'

Love that guy.

Guys dig it too. :noidea:

Do you want to know the terrifying truth? OR DO YOU WANNA SEE ME SOCK A FEW DINGERS?

[video=youtube;hxszN_1k6fQ]

OOOOOOOOOOOO................

It must be maddening to Jim Hunter to see how relaxed and friendly Palmer is with Gary Thorne. Thorne can make the most ridiculous comment and Palmer will either spin it into something decent or just chuckle along. His primary MO with Hunter's admittedly wooden statements, on the other hand, iis to find some way, any way to disagree or suggest that, Yeah, that's right, but you're missing the more important point, that [...].

I wonder whether MASN producers are trying to figure out a way to minimize how often Palmer and Hunter are together in the booth or suggest to one or both of them how to smooth out their interactions. There's probably no solution: Hunter seems to get under Palmer's skin by virtue simply of being who he is and I doubt that JP is open to much direction.

It must be maddening to Jim Hunter to see and hear how much more relaxed and friendly Palmer is with Gary Thorne. Thorne can make the most ridiculous comment and Palmer will either spin it into something decent or just chuckle along. His primary MO with Hunter's admittedly wooden statements, on the other hand, iis to find some way, any way to disagree with them or suggest that, Yeah, that's right, but you're missing the more important point, that [...].

I wonder whether MASN producers are trying to figure out a way to minimize how often Palmer and Hunter are together in the booth or suggest to one or both of them how to smooth out their collaborations. There's probably no solution: Hunter seems to get under Palmer's skin by virtue simply of being who he is and I doubt that JP is open to much direction.

Loved it when Thorne was rattling on about the last "Dead" concert held last weekend in Chi Town and all of the "stuff" they had on sale. Palmer followed up right away with, "depends on what kind of "stuff" you mean"....:wedge:

Loved it when Thorne was rattling on about the last "Dead" concert held last weekend in Chi Town and all of the "stuff" they had on sale. Palmer followed up right away with, "depends on what kind of "stuff" you mean"....:wedge:

IIRC correctly, that was preceded by Palmer's observation that there was a danger of "death by tie dye" in Chicago that weekend. I can't think of another announcer who would come up with "death by tie dye."

Are there any other good analysts on local TV broadcasts? I hear the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets TV crews fairly regularly, and listen in to the Jays and Rays once in a while. I hear the others rarely or not at all.

Other than Palmer and Ron Darling (who is neither as informative nor as entertaining as Jim, but has improved a lot in the last couple of years), I haven't heard any good analysts. Jerry Remy has some charm and doesn't mind criticizing RS players, but that's about it.

Billy Ripken is a great analyst and fun to listen to in the booth. Does a game for MLB or FOX now and then.

Palmer is also a perfect fit for an obvious but sometimes overlooked reason. He is the LINK to EVERY Oriole world championship team. He played with BOTH Brooks AND Cal. He played with Eddie Murray AND Boog Powell and knows the organization personnel past and present.He is also fearless because he knows that management would never dare cut him loose for his critical comments. Most announcers today fear management and their sword. Palmer doesn't care for anything but his truth. He's not interested in doing PR.

This is precisely why I love Palmer.

Palmer is also a perfect fit for an obvious but sometimes overlooked reason. He is the LINK to EVERY Oriole world championship team. He played with BOTH Brooks AND Cal. He played with Eddie Murray AND Boog Powell and knows the organization personnel past and present.He is also fearless because he knows that management would never dare cut him loose for his critical comments. Most announcers today fear management and their sword. Palmer doesn't care for anything but his truth. He's not interested in doing PR.

He is one of a kind. Listening to Palmer do games makes the great times of the past feel like they are in the present at times. Only a long time Orioles fan would understand or appreciate the significance of that during the games he does. I cant imagine any fans of the other 31 teams experiencing anything similar when they watch their team.

Archived