Zach Davies is pitching his butt off

wildcard

You don't half azz it like DD tried to do this year. You just don't.

Last offseason this team was 4 games away from the WS. At that point you either go all in as most teams would have, and have done....(especially knowing so many players would leave after this year) or you sell your impending FA's for good value and restock. What DD chose to do was illogical. Not only did he allow the team to be weakened by not signing any of the 3 guys who left, not only did he not sign those 3 AND improve the team by going out and signing some big name guys (and yes I realize that costs money and would have required PA's blessing-but the cost of that would only have been for this year and been offset by the increased fan attendance and hopefully extended playoff run), but then he failed to realize that this team COULD NOT WIN in the playoffs and traded one of our few legit prospects for another impending FA. It made no sense.

Honestly? I don't feel DD has done that much for him to be able to stay past this coming year if nothing improves. Most of the core was already here when he arrived. He did not do much there. And the farm system is imo much worse off than 3 years ago. You add in what he did last offseason with Toronto? And I would have him on a very very short leash.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't half azz it like DD tried to do this year. You just don't.

Last offseason this team was 4 games away from the WS. At that point you either go all in as most teams would have, and have done....(especially knowing so many players would leave after this year) or you sell your impending FA's for good value and restock. What DD chose to do was illogical. Not only did he allow the team to be weakened by not signing any of the 3 guys who left, not only did he not sign those 3 AND improve the team by going out and signing some big name guys (and yes I realize that costs money and would have required PA's blessing-but the cost of that would only have been for this year and been offset by the increased fan attendance and hopefully extended playoff run), but then he failed to realize that this team COULD NOT WIN in the playoffs and traded one of our few legit prospects for another impending FA. It made no sense.

Honestly? I don't feel DD has done that much for him to be able to stay past this coming year if nothing improves. Most of the core was already here when he arrived. He did not do much there. And the farm system is imo much worse off than 3 years ago. You add in what he did last offseason with Toronto? And I would have him on a very very short leash.

So Chen and Gonzo arent part of the core?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Because as the GM, you are paid to keep the team competitive for years to come. You need to focus on both the short term and long term.

I would have realized we didn't have the pieces to compete with the Jays or Royals. I would have looked at our record against teams above .500 and saw the writing on the wall.

I would have realized I only had once chance to get a "hull" of prospects for the future.

That is how I would have justified it.

I cant believe Davies will be the difference in us being a cellar dweller or WS champ in 2016-2019.

I know I'm going to get destroyed on here for saying this, but don't you think Duquette should be fired? Think of this. He usually does next to nothing every offseason, then makes a half-hearted attempt to bandaid situations when it's too late by emptying our farm system. Our farm system is a complete laughing stock now because of this mismanagement. Before anybody says "we've made it to the playoffs because of him," I personally think our success has more to do with Buck and the foundation built by MacPhail. I think Duquette just happened to be the guy at the wheel when everything went right. What are your guys thoughts?

Again. I can't think of one player on our current major league roster that came through our system over the past 5 year! :rolleyes:

Agree to disagree. Check my posts. I have been saying since 30 days prior to the deadline, we needed to be sellers. No revisionist history there.

I get your point, I just don't think this was year with so many guys leaving. I feel we could have helped restock things, so to speak, if we had been sellers. And to be clear, that doesn't mean "blow it up", simply restock.

I agree that something needed to be done. We should have traded our tradable Free agents and retooled for next season. Any Free agent to be that brought more value than a draft pick should have been moved. Blue Jays went for it, Duquette tried to better his team, but either did not evaluate his team correctly or refuses to go into retool mode.

I am not necessarily saying it'd have been a bad idea to retool. I like the idea personally of trading players for prospects that are close to being ready so they can contribute to the Machado, Jones, Schoop years. At the same time we were well within striking distance at the time and no way can a team voluntarily turn the page to next season. That'd have been crushing to the fan base and to the players sticking around after this year.

I am not necessarily saying it'd have been a bad idea to retool. I like the idea personally of trading players for prospects that are close to being ready so they can contribute to the Machado, Jones, Schoop years. At the same time we were well within striking distance at the time and no way can a team voluntarily turn the page to next season. That'd have been crushing to the fan base and to the players sticking around after this year.

What's more crushing, that or what we're in right now? How about 4th or 5th place, potentially losing our free agents again, top prospects hurt, and another draft that doesn't seem to have one impact player? If the Orioles were stinking up the join after we made those moves to the future I'd at least take solace in the fact that the young players we acquire should help in the future. Instead, we have to hope Mr. Angelos decides to open up the purse strings which has has shown NO inclination to do for top free agents.

But, back on subject. Go Davies! Show them what you got kid.

This one sucks, because we can't justify the trade - and we've watched the kid for a couple years following him to see him progress to this moment - his ML debut. I can't just flip a switch and root for him, but... he's not in our world anymore. It reminds me of that great song by Pearl Jam - "Black". Just off the top of my head:

"I know some day you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star...

in somebody else's world.

Why, why, why...

can't it be...

in mine?"

Knock em dead, kid.

If you think Duquette has "gutted" the farm system, do not even look at what the Blue Jays gave up for Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes, and R.A. Dickey. But now the Blue Jays are baseball's darlings! Let's all step back from the ledge, guys.

Archived