Norris Sick, May Miss Start

Can_of_corn

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my mind I like to think he retired...as a Yankee.

700x394

Brian Roberts, a two-time All Star and fan favorite who spent all but one year of his 14-season career with the Orioles, has retired from baseball.

Roberts, who turned 37 this month, was released by the New York Yankees in August after hitting .237 in 91 games. He said two "very good teams" were interested in signing him in August, but he decided against it. As the year went on, he said it became clear that he could no longer play at the level he demanded.

Certainly, I wish some of the things had gone a little differently.

- Former Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts

"It was just kind of my time. There were numerous reasons that I felt like I couldn't play at a level that I was accustomed to and wanted to play at if I continued to play," Roberts said. "I always said that I wasn't going to be the guy that tried to hang on as long as I could."

Obviously today's circumstances were a little unusual, but I can't imagine Norris has much more rope left. If they feel like they're still developing Gausmen in the pen, bring on Wilson.

Well latest reports said Gausman will get 3 starts in Norfolk before he returns to Baltimore.

Sometimes a pitcher is getting smacked around but he is really close. Tillman routinely looks close to me. Lots of good pitches and good stuff, but too many mistakes.

And sometimes a pitcher is getting smacked around and, if anything, it should be even worse. That is Bud Norris. I have watched all his starts and he is actually pitching WORSE than his results. Even his wins have been poorly pitched where he got lots of runs and/or lucky. He is terrible. Command is routinely bad. His slider has fallen from routinely plus to routinely below average. He still has zero faith in his change up. He still can't throw a good two seamer.

In my opinion, this isn't an aberration. He isn't very good. The pitch that kept hitters from sitting on the fastball, the slider, has fallen so much in quality that I'm not sure he is a major league pitcher right now, let alone a starter.

It is time to do something else.

Matusz in his slot?

Archived