DFA Bud Norris...

EagleOriole

Sounds pretty smart now. So you would have cut Norris, coming off a good year, and fully expected Jimenez to get back on track this year?

Sounded pretty smart to me back then too I thought.

And what I expected Ubaldo to do, which was pitch better to some extent, had nothing to do with what I would have done with Norris. I have never liked Bud Norris. I thought he was an average at best pitcher, and we could have gotten one of those for less than 8 million (we had one already in Gausman).

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah. Your plan was to cut Norris and insert Gausman in his place. If that was the extent of your plan, then going with Ubaldo was also your plan. Not everyone was as confident as you that Ubaldo was going to be an average pitcher this year.

Ubaldo was going to be in the rotation. Whatever confidence I had with him, the O's weren't getting rid of this contract, they weren't going to eat the money, and he wasn't going to be pitching out of the bullpen for the entire season.

He was going to be in the rotation to start the year. And if he blew up like last year, Gausman was going to replace him. They took him out of the rotation in 2014. They would have done it again if they had to. Keeping Norris with Gausman in the pen or Norfolk was insurance against Jimenez stinking again.

:deadhorse:

"Bud, you had a fabulous year, you helped us get into the playoffs and you played a key part during the playoffs. Here are your release papers. Good luck, Bud."

Sure. :rolleyes::rolleyestf:

It really is even more of a joke post that that. You nailed it. The only team that does something anything like that is the Marlins. And we all know why. Hindsight is so clear.

"Bud, you had a fabulous year, you helped us get into the playoffs and you played a key part during the playoffs. Here are your release papers. Good luck, Bud."

Sure. :rolleyes::rolleyestf:

He didn't ahve a "fabulous year." He was an average pitcher last year. Below average depending on how much you subscribe to WAR. I don't want this team paying 8m for that level of production, and it was probably a good bet you weren't going to get that level of production again.

It really is even more of a joke post that that. You nailed it. The only team that does something anything like that is the Marlins. And we all know why. Hindsight is so clear.

It's not hindsight. You're free to go back and read every post I've ever made about Bud Norris. That's the great thing about a message board.

He didn't ahve a "fabulous year." He was an average pitcher last year. Below average depending on how much you subscribe to WAR. I don't want this team paying 8m for that level of production' date=' and it was probably a good bet you weren't going to get that level of production again.[/quote']

For some reason, the same mentality that says Baltimore can't afford a $20 MM player doesn't trickle down to not overpaying for marginal performances. Shrug.

He didn't ahve a "fabulous year." He was an average pitcher last year. Below average depending on how much you subscribe to WAR. I don't want this team paying 8m for that level of production' date=' and it was probably a good bet you weren't going to get that level of production again.[/quote']

While I am a pretty vocal Bud non-fan I didn't advocate hitting him with a non-tender. I was in favor of trading him for whatever value could be squeezed from him. I also would have started the season with him in the pen.

While I am a pretty vocal Bud non-fan I didn't advocate hitting him with a non-tender. I was in favor of trading him for whatever value could be squeezed from him. I also would have started the season with him in the pen.

Much more reasonable approaches for a non Bud person.

Yeah, non-tender is silly. Comes down to what your asking price is for him in trade.

For some reason, the same mentality that says Baltimore can't afford a $20 MM player doesn't trickle down to not overpaying for marginal performances. Shrug.

SO you are saying that non tendering him was the best that we could have done with the info available at the time. ANd His game three dominance of the Tigers?

SO you are saying that non tendering him was the best that we could have done with the info available at the time. ANd His game three dominance of the Tigers?

I have been reading this way too much.

Smart teams, and even most dumb teams, don't base long term decisions on a single data point.

Yeah, non-tender is silly. Comes down to what your asking price is for him in trade.

I didn't necessarily mean "non-tender." I purposely didn't use that word. I just meant that, following the 2014 season, he wouldn't have been on my team in 2015. If I thought I could have received a prospect back for him, that's what I would have done.

Archived