May 27th: Yankees at O's

Balmer Bomber

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you'd rather he had given up another homerun instead?

I didn't realize it was an either/or.

My point is only the higher BABIP for GB pitchers. Throw a good pitch and you get a seeing-eye hit up the middle.

In fact, that is the problem with GB pitchers. I'm not sure what your point is.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think the average and perhaps even the OBP of JH may eventually exceed that of Gunnar but the power potential, base stealing and defense will never approach what Gunnar can do. I'd wager that in 20 years or so when we're looking back on their careers, Holliday's highest single season HR total will be somewhere in the 25 - 30 number whereas with Gunnar, good lord, who knows. He could hit 50 this year in his age 23 season with several years left before he reaches his peak. I know that we're acknowledging it but I don't think that folks quite understand what that kid is doing this year. 
    • Gunnar was an elite defender at any  IF position you put him at.  Urias and Mateo have been hitting the ball really well recently.  I'm for Mayo, but I don't see how he helps our struggling pitching. This team doesn't have defense issues.  Bringing Mayo up, introduces those issues.  
    • Late to thread — but to the original post — I think Kimbrel was a decent stand in as a closer while Bautista heals. But I think the Elias plan was based on a blueprint he was required to with with under previous ownership. The Rubenstein Era is starting with a steep learning curve and no one knows if the budget for payroll will grow a little, a lot or not much.  So, I would say the next steps of whatever Elias wants to do, will be based on discussions with DR on what the budget will look like going forward. If no big changes are happening on the money front, then I think we will start to see more trades. The OP critique is reasonable, but seems a bit early and due more to injuries and a five game skid, as the team has played pretty darn good before the last week. I do wish we would hear more from the front office about payroll investment or whatever their near term goals are (I am sure they like being competitive, I hope they want even more). The O’s are a playoff team — but I agree we look a few arms short for a run at the World Series.
    • Worrying in such circumstances is not ridiculous. Expecting a decline without additions is not ridiculous. You just said we need to make additions. “If the Os don’t make one move we CAN still get into the playoffs.” Going from our current 90+% chance of making the playoffs to “can” is a decline. I didn’t say we wouldn’t make October, I said that if we make no acquisitions we would slowly sink and that we wouldn’t maintain our current pace, which is  pretty clear. I’m surprised you think we would.
    • I underestimated his wheels. Aside from the two triples, he had the jets going in center field at one point.
    • Westburg struggles going to his right on balls at 2B and doesn't have the arm strength to make up for it. He has been solid at 3B at this year which always amazes me that when Urias plays 3B, Westburg moves over there unless it's to give him more experience knowing Mayo is coming. I didn't honestly realize how bad Westburg has played at 2B according to both OAA and DRS. Still, I'd move him to 2B and play Mayo at 3B. 
    • Do you believe that Elias had the leeway to sign Montgomery (who has been terrible for ARI) under the awful Scrooge McAngelos?
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now