Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

How good is that advice?  Dave was 22-25 with a 5.11 ERA.

I'm merely addressing the point that anyone who would say the catcher doesn't affect the pitching staff has never played the game.   Dave Johnson was a journeyman, but he definitely played the game. And I'd argue he got a lot out of what little talent he had.    I'm not saying his opinion is correct, but there apparently is at least one player that holds that opinion.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm merely addressing the point that anyone who would say the catcher doesn't affect the pitching staff has never played the game.   Dave Johnson was a journeyman, but he definitely played the game. And I'd argue he got a lot out of what little talent he had.    I'm not saying his opinion is correct, but there apparently is at least one player that holds that opinion.   

Frobby, I would think a catcher can affect a game. Didn't we have a pitcher that did better with Joseph catching than with Matt? I may be totally off base. I may have the wrong catchers.

5 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd think long and hard about dealing Givens but only if a team like the dodgers offered Buehler, Verdugo, +++

With Givens I move him into the closer role next year and hope he puts up similar numbers.  Then I trade him next deadline.  I'd rather move Brach this year and I don't want them both on the market this year.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

With Givens I move him into the closer role next year and hope he puts up similar numbers.  Then I trade him next deadline.  I'd rather move Brach this year and I don't want them both on the market this year.

I almost feel like Givens is more valuable in his current role than he'd be as a closer.   He's on pace to pitch 82-83 innings and has thrown 2+ five times and more than one inning another 10 times.    He can do anything you need to bridge the 6th-8th innings.   There's a reason he's picked up 17 wins while losing only 2 in about two full seasons of pitching.   

13 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Frobby, I would think a catcher can affect a game. Didn't we have a pitcher that did better with Joseph catching than with Matt? I may be totally off base. I may have the wrong catchers.

Its one of those "intangibles" - which is hard for us on the OH to deal with because we like to quantify things - but I agree with you. Remember last year, how KG would pitch well, get the lead, and then immediately give it back? Well, in tonight's post gamer presser, Caleb said that KG is "one of those horses who needs to be whipped a little bit" when he gets the lead. (I am on mobile and don't have a link, but its easy to find and I'd encourage you to watch if you're interested). Knowing little things like that (and further, knowing how to act on them!) can be really helpful, IMO. 

22 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

For some reason Greg Maddux didn't like throwing to Javy Lopez. He always went with a different guy. If Maddux believed it, I'd say there's something to it.

Either that it Javy ran over Maddux's dog 

26 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Frobby, I would think a catcher can affect a game.

Oh, I completely agree.    I was just rebutting the idea that everyone who has ever played the game feels that way.

I'd add that it depends on the pitcher.    Some are more inclined to throw whatever the catcher calls, others have their own ideas.  

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would you be in such a hurry to get rid of Givens? What do you think the return would be that would be better than 3 years of Givens?

36 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why would you be in such a hurry to get rid of Givens? What do you think the return would be that would be better than 3 years of Givens?

A number of factors the primary one being that I suspect the O's will have to undergo a pretty serious rebuild and that Givens won't still be under team control when the team is next competitive.

Obviously if the O's are a legitimate contender next season I would revisit trading Givens.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A number of factors the primary one being that I suspect the O's will have to undergo a pretty serious rebuild and that Givens won't still be under team control when the team is next competitive.

Obviously if the O's are a legitimate contender next season I would revisit trading Givens.

He's under team control for the next four seasons. If the Orioles can't build another winning team by 2021, this organization is in deep trouble and basically hopeless. 

Archived