2018 1st round pick (11) Grayson Rodriguez - RHP - Central Heights HS TX

4 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

A little disappointing they only saved $75k.  Would have liked to think if the FO had any negotiation skills, they could have inked him to 1-20 bonus money, since that’s where KLaw ranked him and he for sure was selected many picks early. Oh well. At least looks like they are not wasting time this year in getting these guys signed like they’ve done in recent years. 

I'm doubtful that most contract negotiations are based on sports writer rankings. "Well, Keith Law ranked him here." "Yeah, but Mayo has his ranked there." "Right, but did you see Fangraphs?"

Rodriguez is a top of the line high school power arm. Different teams ranked them differently. I'm just glad to have Rodriguez signed and ready to go. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

I'm doubtful that most contract negotiations are based on sports writer rankings. "Well, Keith Law ranked him here." "Yeah, but Mayo has his ranked there." "Right, but did you see Fangraphs?"

Rodriguez is a top of the line high school power arm. Different teams ranked them differently. I'm just glad to have Rodriguez signed and ready to go. 

Sure. You’re right. Those exact quotes wouldn’t ever come up verbatim, obviously. 

But point remains that he was drafted earlier than expected, therefore you should expect some sort of discount. You really can’t argue against that, unless you just like to argue for the sake of argument. Lol. 

Would have been nice to see another $300-750k-ish in savings to throw at some later round HS draftees. 

Just now, scarey1999 said:

Sure. You’re right. Those exact quotes wouldn’t never come up verbatim, obviously. 

But point remains that he was drafted earlier than expected, therefore you should expect some sort of discount. You really can’t argue against that, unless you just like to argue for the sake of argument. Lol. 

Would have been nice to see another $300-750k-ish in savings to throw at some later round HS draftees. 

If you want a discount get the player to agree to it before you select them.  They can still go back on their word but your chances are better.

5 hours ago, Otter said:

Agreed, I was hoping for a couple hundred thousand we could use for overslots.  At least negotiate for a while and see if you can get him to sign for less.  Oh well, at least we should be able to sign Grenier for well under slot.  Grenier himself seemed as surprised as anyone he was picked at #37...

Who's doing the negotiating for the O's - someone who won't be with the team after this year and would have no reason to care about saving money for later draft picks?

1 minute ago, panick said:

Who's doing the negotiating for the O's - someone who won't be with the team after this year and would have no reason to care about saving money for later draft picks?

I assume Gary Rajsich does the negotiations too. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I assume Gary Rajsich does the negotiations too. 

Does he actually make the picks, or does he have to discuss the picks with someone else? I'm more familiar with NFL drafts where the GM make the final decision.

Does Rajsich actually have information about the over 1,200 players taken? 

51 minutes ago, panick said:

Does he actually make the picks, or does he have to discuss the picks with someone else? I'm more familiar with NFL drafts where the GM make the final decision.

Does Rajsich actually have information about the over 1,200 players taken? 

There are area scouts who try and turn in reports on every player in their area who is talented enough to get drafted. Some teams grade area scouts on completeness primarily. The percentage of the players drafted from their region that they turned in reports on. So Rajsich has access to reports on the large majority of the drafted players, likely all the non senior picks in the top 10 rounds. 

The the area coordinator sees the best players and the top guys get looks from the crosschecker. Really high pick probable players will have Rajsich in to see them and possibly DD. Duquette is likely involved to some extent.

11 hours ago, panick said:

I could be reading too much into it, but some of Rajisch's quotes lately seem to suggest he might be a little disgruntled.  He made comments before the draft on the pressure of finding good prospects since the O's ignore the international market.  He also alluded before the draft to potentially drafting for need, and then used the word "need" to describe the Grenier pick.  And this is after he has consistently for years stated you never draft for need in the MLB draft.  Rajisch's draft record has been decent, but in his defense Duquette has completely handcuffed him by giving away so many 1st and 2nd round picks over the years.  I would imagine it's frustrating to work at an organization that doesn't value your line of work the way other organizations do.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Glad he's signed, hopefully he can get started quickly and we can see what we're dealing with here.

I'm betting they take it super conservative despite the fact he signed so early and he ends up with less than 20 innings this year.

Archived