2018 1st round pick (11) Grayson Rodriguez - RHP - Central Heights HS TX

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You want to blow out the arm before you can get your hopes up in the first place?

You seem to think I have hopes.

If we can get Dwight Gooden performance out of him for a few years, lets do it.

Let it ride, CoC.  This franchise gets everything else wrong, let's just be miserable in all facets.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let it ride, CoC.  This franchise gets everything else wrong, let's just be miserable in all facets.

I think you care, just like you know deep down I'm actually a softie.  ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 10:13 AM, Cy Bundy said:

A friend of the family who works in mlb told me that this kid has more potential than anyone in the draft. He honestly believes Baltimore got the best pitching prospect in the entire draft. 

Thanks for sharing. We needed some good news!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 10:13 AM, Cy Bundy said:

A friend of the family who works in mlb told me that this kid has more potential than anyone in the draft. He honestly believes Baltimore got the best pitching prospect in the entire draft. 

I definitely think he was underrated by the publications/gurus pre-draft. He was certainly in the top 5-6, regardless of signability and concerns over wear and tear. Mize, Hankins, Liberatore, Stewart and Rocker could make a case too. For me, he was squarely in the middle of that group depending on what you valued the most.

Singer had been in that group for me early, but he faded and he may be a bullpen guy with that arm slot. I was giddy about Grayson and hoped he was our pick if they went pitcher. HS arms are risky in round 1, but he seems to be more mature than most. I liked the way he presented himself on the mound when my son’s team faced him in a summer game last year. And that was before he took his workouts to a high level. Just have to be patient with him, like we are with DL Hall.

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I definitely think he was underrated by the publications/gurus pre-draft. He was certainly in the top 5-6, regardless of signability and concerns over wear and tear. Mize, Hankins, Liberatore, Stewart and Rocker could make a case too. For me, he was squarely in the middle of that group depending on what you valued the most.

Singer had been in that group for me early, but he faded and he may be a bullpen guy with that arm slot. I was giddy about Grayson and hoped he was our pick if they went pitcher. HS arms are risky in round 1, but he seems to be more mature than most. I liked the way he presented himself on the mound when my son’s team faced him in a summer game last year. And that was before he took his workouts to a high level. Just have to be patient with him, like we are with DL Hall.

While he wasn’t my top choice available at the pick, he wasn’t a “reach”. DL Hall was good value at 21 last year and GrayRod is a better prospect than Hall was coming out. 

Guess Stewart was not a no-brainer. 

The Braves and first-round draft choice Carter Stewart failed to put pen to paper in advance of today’s 5pm EST deadline, Jon Heyman of Fancred was first to tweet.

Stewart, a Georgia high-schooler, entered the draft graded as one of the top eligible hurlers. He had dealt with a wrist injury late in the season, though it was not something that led to any expectations of a ding in his draft stock. Indeed, it seemed there was not much to worry about when the Braves took Stewart eighth overall.

Unfortunately, it seems that a closer look at the medicals has enhanced the concerns for the Atlanta organization. MLB.com’s Mark Bowman tweeted that it was a “definite concern” for the Braves, noting that player and team never really were close on numbers entering the final signing day.

The eighth overall pick came with a $4,980,700 allocation. The Braves will only get a compensatory pick next year — at one slot lower than the existing selection (#9) — if they offered Stewart at least 40% of the slot value (i.e., $1,992,280).

The Braves kept their offer “a lot closer to the 40% threshold than to pick value,” according to MLB.com’s Jim Callis (Twitter link), which explains why a deal did not come together. But that also indicates that enough cash was put on the table to ensure that the club will get another top-ten selection next year. Stewart will presumably honor his commitment to Mississippi State, though there’s no clear indication yet as to his immediate future.

MLBTR

11 hours ago, weams said:

Guess Stewart was not a no-brainer. 

MLBTR

Yeah, I heard about this. It’s too bad for the kid. I will reach out and see if I can get some more info on that. His camp may not want to say anything. 

On 6/12/2018 at 3:47 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Don't sell the O's short, bro!  They're already there.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:47 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Wait - whoa!  You're being facet ious, right?  ?

Archived