Documentary Film on “The Blade”

yeoledugger

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/17/2018 at 8:42 AM, ScGO's said:

Is this documentary going to be made free to watch via the internet?

There was some talk (proposals or negotiations) of it being aired on MASN and a few other regional channels from a news article I read this week. Because Belanger’s name came up in the HOF thread this week, I went to Google to find the film’s site again and I saw that it had its premiere in November in Pittsfield MA. So I sent a donation of $13 (figured that would cover shipping) at the pre-order DVD link and the filmmaker wrote me today to say the DVD will be in the mail this weekend. So I’m assuming you can all order one there, but you can donate more than just the $10 for the film if you wish. 

http://www.belangerfilm.com/

1 minute ago, NashLumber said:

There was some talk (proposals or negotiations) of it being aired on MASN and a few other regional channels from a news article I read this week. Because Belanger’s name came up in the HOF thread this week, I went to Google to find the film’s site again and I saw that it had its premiere in November in Pittsfield MA. So I sent a donation of $13 (figured that would cover shipping) at the pre-order DVD link and the filmmaker wrote me today to say the DVD will be in the mail this weekend. So I’m assuming you can all order one there, but you can donate more than just the $10 for the film if you wish. 

Shame no digital download option.

The fact was that with Frank, Brooks, Boog, Buford,  andDavey Johnson, on offense and Palmer, McNally, and Cuellar as starters in a four  man rotation. those teams didn't need more offense at SS.  Earl was very happy with a GG shortstop.    Belanger was not as flashy as Ozzie. but Mark had great range and was very consistent at SS.    Year after year Mark, Brooks and Blair won GGs. And the team went to the WS in '69, '70 and  '71.  It was a great time to be an O's fan.

Thanks for this great thread; it brought back wonderful memories.  What teams the O's had back in those days.  I can't imagine a pitcher preferring anybody (no matter how well he could hit) playing shortstop behind him rather than Belanger.  On second thought, if you have Brooks, Cal, and Belanger in their primes, what do you do?  Play Cal at second base?  

16 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I ordered this last night and already they sent an e-mail that I should receive the DVD this week.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:38 PM, NashLumber said:

It's ashamed that MASN didn't pick this up! I haven't seen the film, but you would think this is the exact kind of content they should run vs horseracing and ESPN Ocho stuff.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Shame that they had these great shortstops of the era Camperaneris, Belanger,  and Concepcion  and none of them is in the Hall of Fame.  

Campaneris: 53.1 rWAR

Fregosi: 48.7

Belanger: 40.9

Concepcion: 40.1

Petrocelli: 39.2

Pretty good era for shortstops.   

On 1/25/2019 at 11:49 PM, wildcard said:

The fact was that with Frank, Brooks, Boog, Buford,  andDavey Johnson, on offense and Palmer, McNally, and Cuellar as starters in a four  man rotation. those teams didn't need more offense at SS.  Earl was very happy with a GG shortstop.    Belanger was not as flashy as Ozzie. but Mark had great range and was very consistent at SS.    Year after year Mark, Brooks and Blair won GGs. And the team went to the WS in '69, '70 and  '71.  It was a great time to be an O's fan.

It is interesting to note that in 1969 which was arguably the best Oriole regular season ever...Mark hit a career high .287 with 152 hits....similarly in 1971 he hit .266.  Most of his really poor years were when we did not make it to the Series.  

On 1/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, mdbdotcom said:

And thanks to Chris Davis, he's no longer the worst hitting regular in team history.

This depends on how you define "regular" but you can't really come up with a scenario where either Davis or Belanger had the worst offensive single season in modern O's history.

If it's qualify for the batting title, Billy Ripken's 48 OPS+ in 1988 is the worst.  That's two points worse than Davis' 2018.  He hit .207/.260/.258 with two homers, 14 GIDP, and 33 walks in 559 PAs.

If it's 300+ PAs, then it's Willy Miranda's 30 OPS+ in 1957.

if it's 200+ PAs the record is Juan Bell's 26 in 1991.

If it's 100+ PAs it's jackie Gutierrez' 14 in 1986.

Belanger had five seasons at or below '18 Davis level, but they didn't let him have enough PAs in those years to qualify for the batting title.

Archived