Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

Just now, eddie83 said:

Then why did they make the deal? What good is the Int money? 

I guess we will find out. It was only meaningful as a trade asset to the Braves, they couldn't spend it anyway because they were over the limit in the past. Hopefully the Orioles use it and get something out of it. Would love to be wrong. A cost-controlled mid-rotation starter should bring back more.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The whole thing reminds me Arrieta. A hugely talented pitcher that the Orioles can’t squeeze anything out of.

They had to trade Arrieta, he was unplayable at the end. Gausman was still a solid mid-rotation pitcher for the Orioles.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Simple poll.    Let’s see how it grades out.   

It's really not simple. As others have implied, it's actually premature. IMO, whatever international players the O's wind up signing should be strongly factored into the perceived quality of this trade. Just can't assess at this point.

If we are looking at this as Gausman, O’Day for the 4 prospects plus VVM and money saved, then I guess it’s fine.  I’d probably say B.  If we don’t land VVM this is almost certainly a D.  If we land VVM but have more than 2.5 million remaining in our bonus pool for this year when it expires, then this is maybe a C+.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I guess we will find out. It was only meaningful as a trade asset to the Braves, they couldn't spend it anyway because they were over the limit in the past. Hopefully the Orioles use it and get something out of it. Would love to be wrong. A cost-controlled mid-rotation starter should bring back more.

It makes no sense to acquire that money if it isn’t going to be used. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

It makes no sense to acquire that money if it isn’t going to be used. 

Indeed. I guess time will tell. I don't have a ton of faith in the Orioles using all of their international slot money, and I have even less faith in them using it particularly well since they have such a limited amount of international scouting infrastructure.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Indeed. I guess time will tell. I don't have a ton of faith in the Orioles using all of their international slot money, and I have even less faith in them using it particularly well since they have such a limited amount of international scouting infrastructure.

Is this money isn’t for a top Int player then the deal makes no sense at all. 

I graded this an F.  Not a single top ten prospect back for a mid-rotation innings eater with 2.5 years of team control left. The return was poor, probably a D.  But the fact that there was no rush to trade the guy (not an expiring contract) and they jumped at this deal anyway, makes it an F for me.  

I'm not tough to please either.  I gave positive grades to both the Machado and Britton deal and will give a similar grade for the Schoop return. 

• Upvote 1