Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, Here! said:

I  assume that his contract says that he can't be sent to the minors but why wouldn't he ask to go in an attempt to get sorted out? Better to make a fool of yourself in Bowie than nationwide.

He could even buy all the tickets so nobody attends the games to see him struggle.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Is that a reference to Kim? I was at that OD game, and was annoyed that fans were booing him. 

Management never encouraged that. Kim was welcomed to the club with open arms and had some good times while here. 

The longest and loudest cheers at the Baltimore Orioles’ home opener Thursday went to Cal Ripken Jr., Brooks Robinson, Eddie Murray and Hanser Alberto. The first three, their smiling, waving, graying images displayed on the stadium video board during breaks in the action, are Hall of Famers, legends and enduring symbols of the Orioles’ once-proud history.

Alberto, a 26-year-old utility infielder with a .203/.220/.259 career slash line who was waived by four teams this offseason, merely pinch-hit for Chris Davis. But at that moment, some three hours, eight innings and three Davis strikeouts into the grim proceedings, it gave Alberto the appearance of a long-awaited hero.

Everyone else knew better. And in case they forgot, there was a reminder, roughly every hour or so, of the depth of the hopelessness — each time Davis emerged out of the Orioles’ dugout to drag his sad, heavy bat to the left-handed batter’s box for another hapless at-bat, before wearing three strikes and strolling back the other way.

But new management, a new attitude and a rebuilt roster can’t hide the one, massive, awkward problem that remains from last year. The 2019 Orioles may not give fans many reasons to come to Camden Yards, but in poor Chris Davis, a good fellow who is helpless and lost at the plate, there is one big reason to avert your eyes at all costs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/the-orioles-open-at-home-with-a-loss-and-with-a-big-ticket-slugger-who-looks-lost/2019/04/04/7caf7fa8-5660-11e9-8ef3-fbd41a2ce4d5_story.html?utm_term=.512751a0963a

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

I can't remember: Did a stint in the minors help him last year, at least for a while?

When did he get sent down?  And how would that work? I do not remember that. I do remember but sitting him for a week. But that did no good. 

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The longest and loudest cheers at the Baltimore Orioles’ home opener Thursday went to Cal Ripken Jr., Brooks Robinson, Eddie Murray and Hanser Alberto. The first three, their smiling, waving, graying images displayed on the stadium video board during breaks in the action, are Hall of Famers, legends and enduring symbols of the Orioles’ once-proud history.

Alberto, a 26-year-old utility infielder with a .203/.220/.259 career slash line who was waived by four teams this offseason, merely pinch-hit for Chris Davis. But at that moment, some three hours, eight innings and three Davis strikeouts into the grim proceedings, it gave Alberto the appearance of a long-awaited hero.

Everyone else knew better. And in case they forgot, there was a reminder, roughly every hour or so, of the depth of the hopelessness — each time Davis emerged out of the Orioles’ dugout to drag his sad, heavy bat to the left-handed batter’s box for another hapless at-bat, before wearing three strikes and strolling back the other way.

But new management, a new attitude and a rebuilt roster can’t hide the one, massive, awkward problem that remains from last year. The 2019 Orioles may not give fans many reasons to come to Camden Yards, but in poor Chris Davis, a good fellow who is helpless and lost at the plate, there is one big reason to avert your eyes at all costs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/the-orioles-open-at-home-with-a-loss-and-with-a-big-ticket-slugger-who-looks-lost/2019/04/04/7caf7fa8-5660-11e9-8ef3-fbd41a2ce4d5_story.html?utm_term=.512751a0963a

This was a great article by Dave Sheinin, Washington Post reporter who used to have the Orioles beat back when the Post gave them daily coverage.    

9 hours ago, Here! said:

I  assume that his contract says that he can't be sent to the minors but why wouldn't he ask to go in an attempt to get sorted out? Better to make a fool of yourself in Bowie than nationwide.

Much better food and hotels up with the big club.  Bowie fans can boo just as easily as Oriole fans.

If Davis was a light hitting SS with gold glove defense it would be an easier pill to swallow (contract aside) but he's taking up a position that's reserved for offense. Basically, great hitters that can't play defense, usually end up at 1st or DH. Having the pitcher bat for himself is an upgrade. That's depressing.

Dan Connolly poetry

He was booed some after his first strikeout, more after his second and resoundingly after the third.

And then, amazingly, it got worse.

In the eighth inning, the lefty Davis was scheduled to bat against former Oriole southpaw Zack Britton with the Orioles trailing by one run.

But rookie manager Brandon Hyde replaced Davis, a former two-time home run champ in the middle of a $161 million deal, with utility infielder and right-handed hitter Hanser Alberto, who was waived four different times this offseason.

The home crowd cheered the decision. And cheered even louder when Alberto, a career .203 major-league hitter, singled.

No more pinch hitting for Davis. Send him out there 4 times a game, every game. Let the fans/media do and say what they want. Don't protect him. He's a grown man. Perhaps if he gets tired enough of the clamor he'll quit.

Davis is hitless in 17 at-bats this season, striking out 10 times, and dating back to 2018, he’s without a hit in 38 at-bats. When Zack Britton came in, Orioles manager Brandon Hyde pinch-hit journeyman infielder Hanser Alberto for Davis in the eighth.

Just do it Orioles he's a loss cause taking up valuable space. The fans are fed up with Davis, and it showed yesterday, and is only going to get worse.

Davis made a comment after the game "Im going to be here for the foreseeable future" So I cant think retirement has entered his mind yet. Maybe if he goes on another 1-50 streak he could revisit it, but right now Davis is saying all the things you would expect from someone with 4 years left on his deal.  

13 minutes ago, Here! said:

No more pinch hitting for Davis. Send him out there 4 times a game, every game. Let the fans/media do and say what they want. Don't protect him. He's a grown man. Perhaps if he gets tired enough of the clamor he'll quit.

Or at least volunteer to go the minors - if he really thinks he can "fix" this.  We all know the definition of insanity - at this point, it's insane to think he's going to fix things doing what he's doing.  I said this in the game thread - continuing to play him is disrespecting the game, the fans, and his teammates.  

Archived