Cadyn Grenier, 2019

Moose Milligan

I was kinda stoked about this pick last summer.  Played for a CWS champ, slick glove, seemed like a good kid.

Just looked up his stats, was surprised to see him slashing .261/.371/.369 for a .740 OPS.  Certainly not a fearsome presence with the bat but putting up respectable numbers.  Encouraged by the separation between batting average and on base percentage.  He's only half a year older than the competition average but it looks like he's improved some.  

Have there been any reports on him?  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was kinda stoked about this pick last summer.  Played for a CWS champ, slick glove, seemed like a good kid.

Just looked up his stats, was surprised to see him slashing .261/.371/.369 for a .740 OPS.  Certainly not a fearsome presence with the bat but putting up respectable numbers.  Encouraged by the separation between batting average and on base percentage.  He's only half a year older than the competition average but it looks like he's improved some.  

Have there been any reports on him?  

With the caveat that I have only seen the first few series of the year for Delmarva. He's made some swing adjustments to try and tap into some of his average raw power. He's got a good approach but I question the bat to ball skills. At SS, I haven't been thrilled with his transfer, or arm strength when his feet aren't set. Basing it just on early 2019 looks, Adam Hall is the SS and Grenier is the 2B. I have seen him better defensively in college and I think he'd be a defensive asset at 2B. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

With the caveat that I have only seen the first few series of the year for Delmarva. He's made some swing adjustments to try and tap into some of his average raw power. He's got a good approach but I question the bat to ball skills. At SS, I haven't been thrilled with his transfer, or arm strength when his feet aren't set. Basing it just on early 2019 looks, Adam Hall is the SS and Grenier is the 2B. I have seen him better defensively in college and I think he'd be a defensive asset at 2B. 

So you are telling we reached in the second round to to take a glove first shortstop who doesn't actually have the glove to stick at SS?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

So you are telling we reached in the second round to to take a glove first shortstop who doesn't actually have the glove to stick at SS?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope.

He was a first round pick.

Gotta take the bad with the good sometimes.    

1.  GrayRod

1s. Grenier

3.   Knight 

4.   Rom

5.   Neustrom

Yeah, Grenier looked like a reach on draft day and still looks that way, but it’s not like he’s totally wet the bed.    The other top 5 picks all look solid or better compared to their draft position right now.   I’ll take it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I didn't have him in my top 50 that I put out before the draft and he wasn't one of the tough exclusions. But teams obviously know more about the players than I do, so I'm always kind of open-minded with these things. But yeah, he was far from my favorite pick.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Given Grenier's experience and limited power, his striking out 31% of the time in the Sally League is really bad. The pick after Grenier in the draft was Xavier Edwards who is 3 years younger and hitting .347 with 18 steals at the same position and level.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

It really felt like a "we need a SS, pronto" type of pick at the time. Unfortunate.

They're just so tough to come by.  We lacked some serious depth.  A different regime just drafted around 4 with our top 10 picks.  Heck, Hanser Alberto won a AAA Gold Glove at SS, and he's looked average at best.  The concerning thing with Cadyn is the k's and if he can even stick at SS.  

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like Grenier has been hitting more than expected, at least to me. His OPS has seemingly rose for the past month or so as I follow box scores. He still strikes out a ton, but a .763 OPS isn't horrible. It is actually in the top half hitting-wise for our hitting prospects. Don't know if the defense has been good but it was supposed to be.

27 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Seems like Grenier has been hitting more than expected, at least to me. His OPS has seemingly rose for the past month or so as I follow box scores. He still strikes out a ton, but a .763 OPS isn't horrible. It is actually in the top half hitting-wise for our hitting prospects. Don't know if the defense has been good but it was supposed to be.

Good to hear. I wonder who gets promoted first, he or Hall. Hall's doing better, but Grenier is 2 years older.

On 5/25/2019 at 1:06 AM, Frobby said:

Gotta take the bad with the good sometimes.    

1.  GrayRod

1s. Grenier

3.   Knight 

4.   Rom

5.   Neustrom

Yeah, Grenier looked like a reach on draft day and still looks that way, but it’s not like he’s totally wet the bed.    The other top 5 picks all look solid or better compared to their draft position right now.   I’ll take it.

We also saved around 125k with Grenier that helped us go overslot for Knight and Rom.  If there's one thing I've learned about the draft, it's that round really doesn't matter too much.  It's about having a plan and getting your guys signed.  Like if we flip Knight and Grenier, and Knight is the 1s. and Grenier is the 3rd, people would be saying they were good picks.  Only Knight would have demanded full slot.