David Hess optioned (recalled)

Legend_Of_Joey

51 minutes ago, billhatf said:

Maybe Davis to the pen?? :) Seriously, I'm wondering about the pitch selection.  Givens ended the inning by blowing fastballs past guys. The game tying homer came on the third straight offspeed pitch.   I can hear Palmer's voice in my head saying "why speed up the bat?". I know the catchers suggest the pitches, the pitcher decides, and the bench calls pickoffs. Catcher and pitcher need to go with pitcher's strength, which in Givens case is fastball. 

Since there will certainly be more laughers during the rest of the season, Davis could actually become important as one-/two-inning mop. He can't be worse than Strailly right? Is he allowed to throw pitches from first base?

5 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

I thought Hess would be good

ORPHEUS! You should have learned long ago not to look back, even if out of honest concern and affection. Upon you has been set an agonizing curse....

51 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Have to wonder if this move isn’t twofold. Let Hess get his confidence back and also they aren’t quite ready to ditch the idea of him being a starter.  

I just hope they don’t go the Mike Wright way with him. The writing is on the wall that he’s a reliever. Don’t let him get battered around and lose all self confidence. Make the switch now while he still has options. 

Convert him to a strictly 1 IP reliever and let him air it out. Don’t force these guys to be SP or multi inning RP.  We have an 8 man pen.  Guys with options.  Use that to cover IP.  

Putting a rotation together has been a huge problem for us. Maybe 2014, was our one year since 98’, where we actually had a “good” one. 

I think that was the key to how Buck managed the bulllpen. Guys had defined roles and got confidence in being put into situations where they could succeed.