Should Rutschman stay at catcher?

Sessh

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We might be operating under different views of ownership.

Elias's contract is scheduled to expire before AR is out of team control.

AR might not want to stay.

I'd say he is not likely to be here in say 10 years.

Whether or not Elias is here probably hinges on how well his plan works out. True, AR may not want to stay especially if he gets $$$ in his eyes and wants to hit free agency in which case I hope we don't make the same mistake we did with Machado. If he is that good and he doesn't stay, I don't think it will be because we didn't try hard enough to sign him early, though. 50/50.

8 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Whether or not Elias is here probably hinges on how well his plan works out. True, AR may not want to stay especially if he gets $$$ in his eyes and wants to hit free agency in which case I hope we don't make the same mistake we did with Machado. If he is that good and he doesn't stay, I don't think it will be because we didn't try hard enough to sign him early, though. 50/50.

That goes both ways, if his plans don't work he isn't brought back and if he does well enough he might leave for a what is perceived as a better gig.

As for the extension, ownership would have to approve the contract.

When players become a Free Agent, the compensation for a team losing them, the whole idea of "Service Clocks" will all be addressed in a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.  This can/could change the entire landscape of the recent Amateur Drafted Players.  Teams may not have seven years of control prior to FA.  Teams may need to protect players sooner from the Rule 5.  Teams may get ZERO compensation for leaving Free Agents.

3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

When players become a Free Agent, the compensation for a team losing them, the whole idea of "Service Clocks" will all be addressed in a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.  This can/could change the entire landscape of the recent Amateur Drafted Players.  Teams may not have seven years of control prior to FA.  Teams may need to protect players sooner from the Rule 5.  Teams may get ZERO compensation for leaving Free Agents.

Sure.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess, but if we just judged hitting on how pretty and fundamentally sound a player looks you might think, like, Mark Grace or Will Clark or somebody was the best hitter ever.

Will Clark - 56.5 rWAR

Mark Grace - 46.4 rWAR

I’d be thrilled if Rutschman reached that level.   

Will Clark had a .880 career OPS and there are only 2 catchers in history with a higher career OPS than that:

Piazza and Mickey Cochrane from the 20s.

For comparison Buster Poseys career OPS is .833.

If Adley can hit like Will Clark with above average defense it would be an excellent outcome.

23 hours ago, Sessh said:

After seeing all the abuse Sisco and especially Severino have taken from balls to the head, you want to put our future back there? If Severino pans out to be a major league catcher, the wise thing to do is sign him and keep him as catcher so Rutschman can spend most of his time at a less hazardous position at first base and be a backup option instead of a full-time one. I don't want my best player routinely taking 95mph heaters to the head.

So here’s the thing, let’s assume Rutschman is going to hit like 2019 Trey Mancini. He has potential to be better than that, but I think that’d be a solid outcome.

So if he’s a plus defensive catcher and hits like that he’s going to be a 5-6 WAR player, maybe the best catcher in baseball.

If he does it at first base, he’ll be a 3 WAR player, that’s the difference between a piece you build around and just a good player.

• Upvote 4

If he’s a plus catcher like they say he is then he should obviously spend most of his time there.  You just don’t find a plus catcher plus hitter that often. 

I’m fine with the Posey plan of having him play 30 or so games at 1B/DH. Keep him fresh but keep him in the lineup. 

3 hours ago, Sessh said:

You think so? This FO would let him get away if he's that good?

They would if the FO is that good.  Maintaining a competitive team is an ongoing process and along those lines, the future of the Orioles was not fixed in place in June 2019. Isn't trading players at peak value the point of major league baseball now?  You would think so if you follow this board closely.  Perhaps you're not one of those (I'm not), but I predict controlled and considered roster churn is the new market efficency and Rutchman just might be a nugget in that regard.