O's add Fredi Gonzalez to ML staff

interloper

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

So they filled the 1B coach hole with Anthony Sanders. Still need an assistant hitting coach and a bullpen coach. Fredi doesn't appear to fit any of those, so maybe creating a new position?

"Hiring González will allow the Orioles to move major league coach José Hernandez into the assistant hitting coach role for his second year on the big league staff. Before joining Hyde’s coaching staff in 2019, Hernandez had been a field coach in the Orioles’ farm system since 2010."

• Upvote 4

Just now, Absltgreek said:

Hiring González will allow the Orioles to move major league coach José Hernandez into the assistant hitting coach role for his second year on the big league staff. Before joining Hyde’s coaching staff in 2019, Hernandez had been a field coach in the Orioles’ farm system since 2010.

I must have just decided to not read that part of the article. Lol.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Looks like he fits best as 3rd base coach.

Perhaps, but that’s not what he’s been hired for.    I’m not sure what a “major league coach” does.    That’s a title, not a general description.     Hernández had that title last year.

I believe bullpen coach is the only remaining opening.