Update: Chris Davis missed two games with sinus infection, has recovered

MurphDogg

10 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

This is :bs: , IMO. The fans deserve, especially this season, to be told something about why a player is "unavailable" and hasn't shown up for a game. If a player's got a personal problem or a family emergency or is grieving, or needs a day off to get his head straight, that's all we need to know. If (hard to believe here), he's not playing because there's a trade under discussion, he should be with the team, and you can say what you want, or even lie if you want, about why he's on the bench.

But to say that a player is unavailable and is not with the team, and it's none of the fans' damn business why, doesn't strike me as right for a sport that has a real problem with its public.

If it’s your business, they’ll tell you. Just because it’s a public job and he makes a lot of money doesn’t mean you get to know what his reasoning for not being there is. 

11 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

This is :bs: , IMO. The fans deserve, especially this season, to be told something about why a player is "unavailable" and hasn't shown up for a game. If a player's got a personal problem or a family emergency or is grieving, or needs a day off to get his head straight, that's all we need to know. If (hard to believe here), he's not playing because there's a trade under discussion, he should be with the team, and you can say what you want, or even lie if you want, about why he's on the bench.

But to say that a player is unavailable and is not with the team, and it's none of the fans' damn business why, doesn't strike me as right for a sport that has a real problem with its public.

Meh.   This is Chris Davis we’re talking about, and the 2020 Orioles.    It’s not like Mike Trout suddenly decided to skip a day in the waning days of a September pennant race.    I really couldn’t care less if Davis needs to skip a game.

11 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

How is that any different from saying "The player has left the team for personal reasons. Out of respect for Chris's privacy we do not have additional details." 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

How is that any different from saying "The player has left the team for personal reasons. Out of respect for Chris's privacy we do not have additional details." 

it could also be what some of us have to contend with.

With the abundance of caution, if  you have any symptoms, then you are urge to stay home.  Just because you have a runny nose, mean you have covid.

I hope Davis opts out.  I have long ago given up that he will retire or the O's will get out of his contract.  It would be nice if someone who could be part of the future could get some playing time, or failing that given some stopgap player a chance.  It would be nice to have a 1B that actually contributes to the team.  If Davis opts out, it will be much easier for the O's to release him in the offseason and give up the fantasy that Davis will dontribute to this team in any way. 

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I hope Davis opts out.  I have long ago given up that he will retire or the O's will get out of his contract.  It would be nice if someone who could be part of the future could get some playing time, or failing that given some stopgap player a chance.  It would be nice to have a 1B that actually contributes to the team.  If Davis opts out, it will be much easier for the O's to release him in the offseason and give up the fantasy that Davis will dontribute to this team in any way. 

Easier to give away 46m dollars.   I don't know what makes that easier.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Meh.   This is Chris Davis we’re talking about, and the 2020 Orioles.    It’s not like Mike Trout suddenly decided to skip a day in the waning days of a September pennant race.    I really couldn’t care less if Davis needs to skip a game.

Its one thing for Hyde to say Chris needed a day off.  Its another to say he is unavailable without giving any explanation.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Easier to give away 46m dollars.   I don't know what makes that easier.

Yeah, as sad as it it, he is currently the best option for a 1B/DH spot in the lineup.

If Mountcastle comes up and plays well and Stewart hits like a Major Leaguer and neither Santander, Rio Ruiz, or Renato Nunez take a step back then Davis could become superfluous, but he has shown enough flickers of hope that it is not yet worth cutting bait on him without a definite superior replacement.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, I'd just like to be "Hey, I'm unavailable today..." at work, with no explanation given.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

You think he didn’t give his employer a reason? 

Of course Hyde knows.

And if you did give your boss a legitimate reason for not being at the office you would expect that your boss then wouldn't broadcast that reason to everyone. If someone asked him or her they would just say "Moose isn't going to be in today." Same with Hyde and Davis.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, as sad as it it, he is currently the best option for a 1B/DH spot in the lineup.

If Mountcastle comes up and plays well and Stewart hits like a Major Leaguer and neither Santander, Rio Ruiz, or Renato Nunez take a step back then Davis could become superfluous, but he has shown enough flickers of hope that it is not yet worth cutting bait on him without a definite superior replacement.

You think someone has to "play well" or "hit like a major leaguer" to be as good or better an option than Chris Davis?

Just now, weams said:

At no point, with this pandemic in control of everything that occurs in sport, should the Orioles "cut bait" and sacrifice future financial cushion that make become available on this ridiculous burdensome contract. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting cutting him at this point in time. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting cutting him at this point in time. 

Nor should anyone have. There has been no need for roster room whatsoever. This is not a competitive team nor has it been during the Mike Elias ERA of baseball operations control.