Markakis hits 500th double

kidrock

1 minute ago, TommyPickles said:

@Frobby , do you see them both being elected to the Orioles Hall of Fame?

I would hope so, but I don't know quite where the bar is for that.

It's not a high bar.

It reminds me of when I was in the Army.  We had a rather rare MOS in my unit and the promotion points needed to make Sergeant would stay maxed out, right up until one of the few guys in the field qualified to get promoted.  Then it would drop down to however many points they had for a month, they would get promoted and it would jump back up to max.

If they don't have anyone "worthy" to induct in a given year they will just pick the most worthy of whomever they haven't put in yet.

Jones and Markakis are very qualified.  A borderline case would be someone like Trumbo.

• Upvote 1

For Orioles HOF I think Jones, Markakis, Manny, Davis, Hardy, Wieters, Schoop, Britton will all make it. 

Tillman and O’Day have solid chance. Chen maybe does. 

Jon Miller not being in is petty. 

Edit: more I think Chen is very doubtful. Tillman was best overall pitcher during the 12-16 run which is why I think he has a chance. O’Day matches up with some others already in. 

45 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

It's not set that high both in terms of length of time with the team or actual quality and contribution.  Markakis and Jones are as close to slam dunk team hall of famers as you will ever see, barring some resentments or estrangement from the organization. 

20 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

For Orioles HOF I think Jones, Markakis, Manny, Davis, Hardy, Wieters, Schoop, Britton will all make it. 

Tillman and O’Day have solid chance. Chen maybe does. 

Jon Miller not being in is petty. 

Edit: more I think Chen is very doubtful. Tillman was best overall pitcher during the 12-16 run which is why I think he has a chance. O’Day matches up with some others already in. 

Johnson.Has a shot.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

Oh, they are both shoe-ins.   Inner circle Oriole HOFers.  Here’s where they rank all time 1954-present:

Games: Jones 8, Markakis 11

At bats: Jones 4, Markakis 9

Runs: Jones 6, Markakis 9

Hits: Jones 4, Markakis 7

Doubles: Markakis 6, Jones 7

Homers: Jones 5, Markakis 15

RBI: Jones 5, Markakis 10

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice post, Drungo.   Of the 58 players ahead of Nick on the doubles list, 36 are in the Hall, 22 are not.    Of those 22, 3 are active (Pujols, Cabrera, Cano), 5 are not yet eligible (Beltran, Ortiz, Beltran, Rodriguez, Rollins), 3 have PED issues (Bonds, Palmeiro, Ramirez) and one has been excluded from eligibility (Rose).    That leaves 10 who aren’t Hall of Famers (yet) purely on their baseball merits:

Luis Gonzales 

Todd Helton 

Bobby Abreu

Jeff Kent

Al Oliver

Dave Parker

Garret Anderson

Johnny Damon

Scott Rolen

Mark Grace

That's interesting.  I thought there would be more names on that list. 

Scott Rolen is probably eventually getting in based on his first year returns.  Todd Helton has a good shot.  I know Chris Russo keeps pounding the Jeff Kent drum.

The HOFers who have 500 doubles are not mistakes either.  The worst one is either Joe Medwick or Tony Perez.  But Markakis doesn't measure up to any of them.

Oh - John Olerud is missing, 500 on the nose.

2 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

The bar is set somewhere around Rich Dauer, who was a competent second baseman on some good teams.  14-win career that peaked out at 2.9 WAR in a season.

Both Jones and Markakis passed the Dauer Threshold circa 2013.  I think they go in along with Machado, Tejada, Wieters, Hardy, Schoop, Guthrie, O'Day, Britton, and of course Lew Ford.

Here's an interesting case: Chris Davis.  After 2016 he'd had an 18-win Oriole career.  He's now sitting on 11.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Here's an interesting case: Chris Davis.  After 2016 he'd had an 18-win Oriole career.  He's now sitting on 11.

If he had been more involved with 2014, I would think, maybe....but subpar season and the year he got suspended (think I am remembering that right). 

52 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

That's interesting.  I thought there would be more names on that list. 

Scott Rolen is probably eventually getting in based on his first year returns.  Todd Helton has a good shot.  I know Chris Russo keeps pounding the Jeff Kent drum.

The HOFers who have 500 doubles are not mistakes either.  The worst one is either Joe Medwick or Tony Perez.  But Markakis doesn't measure up to any of them.

Oh - John Olerud is missing, 500 on the nose.

It's a little funny to see Joe Medwick called a poor HOFer.  He had a legit peak, lots of black ink from '34-38.  Got MVP votes in eight different years, all star 10 straight years when they had normal rosters.  A 6, 7, and 8-win season on his record, plus another four or five 4-win seasons.  Part of the Gashouse Gang.  134 OPS+.  Markakis isn't close to that except for the doubles.

I always thought Perez was a stretch.  Played a lot longer than Medwick but with same career value.  Never led the league in anything as an offense-first 1B/3B.  I think he got a lot of extra credit for having Bench, Morgan and Rose as teammates.