Nunez DFA

VaBird1

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

2021 Orioles may no have one player that is a full time DH.  Most teams don't.

Seven of 15 AL teams had one player get more than 50% of the team at bats at DH.  Three had pretty much one guy exclusively,   Three others had someone get at least 67% of the at bats.   

Notably, the Orioles were not one of these teams.   Nunez had only 35% of the team’s DH at bats, and only about 40% of his at bats were as a DH.   He played DH more often (percentage-wise) in 2019 than in 2020.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Just to be sure my point isn’t misconstrued, this depends on the needs of a particular team as well as what’s available in the market at a given time.  WAR already accounts for the relative value of offense vs. defense, and how much offense is typically available at a particular position.   So overall a 1.5 WAR DH is just as valuable as a 1.5 WAR multiple position player.   But not for every team and not at all times.

Looking around the AL, four teams had a .651 OPS or worse at DH.   You’d think a team like that could use a guy like Nunez.

Sure. I’m sorry if my comment was misunderstood. Actually, maybe it wasn’t. The Same value can mean different things base on team need. Most teams would prefer their 1.5 WAR in a more versatile package, unless they have a glaring need for the single tool offered by the limited guy. You mentioned 4 AL teams, which is four out of 30.

As I said earlier, he will probably be playing somewhere next season, but it won’t be for very much.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Sure. I’m sorry if my comment was misunderstood. Actually, maybe it wasn’t. The Same value can mean different things base on team need. Most teams would prefer their 1.5 WAR in a more versatile package, unless they have a glaring need for the single tool offered by the limited guy. You mentioned 4 AL teams, which is four out of 30.

As I said earlier, he will probably be playing somewhere next season, but it won’t be for very much.

Your DH doesn’t have to be versatile.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They get those at bats whether Nunez is here or not.

The presence of Nunez changes absolutely nothing about your post.

His presence only becomes an issue IF Diaz is up and IF everyone is producing and healthy.

I brought up Santander and Hays only because your post addressed them.    I agree, Nunez wouldn’t have cost them at bats.  I take your point there.  It’s probably Stewart who benefits most from Nunez’s absence, at least until Diaz gets called up.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I brought up Santander and Hays only because your post addressed them.    I agree, Nunez wouldn’t have cost them at bats.  I take your point there.  It’s probably Stewart who benefits most from Nunez’s absence, at least until Diaz gets called up.  

If I'm the O's and Mancini is on the team and healthy enough to play, I'm putting him at DH a lot of the time to help him conserve his strength.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

DH is NOT a full-time position unless you’ve got Edgar Martinez on the roster. Rotating DH is for roster flexibility, resting a regular, playing a guy on a hot streak, easing back in after an illness, and so on. Devoting a roster spot to one guy who does nothing but hit is a foolish use of a spot, unless he’s a glorious, “proof there is a God” hitter. And Nunez isn’t. I looked up his offensive stats at Baseball savant. Of ten offensive categories, his percentile rank was above average in only two, and one of those just barely(xSLG was %55) his sprint speed was  fairly close at 43%, but in the other 7, he was 35% Or lower. That’s not Edgar territory.

By comparison, Nelson Cruz was horrible in sprint speed( no bunt singles for HIM) and K rate, but terrific in every other category... and he’s 40. He IS a, “Proof there is a God” hitter.

Man, Cruz is amazing. That was really one we let get away.

You are wrong.  Just go look at the 2019 DH stats for example..several teams in the AL had the same guy taking up a large majority of the at bats, with many of them getting 500+ at bats and that doesn’t include Alvarez, who the Astros brought up later in the season and was their exclusive DH for the rest of the year (he had just under 400 at bats).

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays and Santander could be better hitters but they aren’t now and if you want to assume that those guys will get better, Nunez could as well.  

Sure, Stewart benefits but he also could get at bats regardless if Nunez is here.  I can’t imagine Mancini is an everyday player right off the bat.  

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

But he does have to be good. I have already shown, using real stats from baseball savant, that he is not.

I’m not sure I buy your Baseball Savant argument.   It’s not like Nunez started playing yesterday.   We’ve seen him perform for parts of three seasons.    His style of hitting (somewhat low BA and OBP, fairly high K rate, good power) has some value.    The average team had a .227/.312/.407 OPS at DH last year.    Nunez has hit .253/.319/.463 for us the last three years, and better than that last year.    So he is a good enough hitter to help some team primarily at DH.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hays and Santander could be better hitters but they aren’t now and if you want to assume that those guys will get better, Nunez could as well.  

Sure, Stewart benefits but he also could get at bats regardless if Nunez is here.  I can’t imagine Mancini is an everyday player right off the bat.  

I posted way back at the beginning of the thread that I thought it was possible Nunez had another level of improvement left in him.   If I’m guessing (which is all it is), I think Hays and Santander will be better hitters than Nunez at their respective peaks.    But I don’t know it for sure.   It’s sort of a moot point since we agree Nunez isn’t really competing with those two for at bats.   As to Stewart, I’m guessing he will not turn out to be as good a hitter as Nunez, though I’m not sure about that, either.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are wrong.  Just go look at the 2019 DH stats for example..several teams in the AL had the same guy taking up a large majority of the at bats, with many of them getting 500+ at bats and that doesn’t include Alvarez, who the Astros brought up later in the season and was their exclusive DH for the rest of the year (he had just under 400 at bats).

Nah, I’m not wrong.

however, If I may my father’s comment half way through a performance of Mahler 8:

” well, I’ve had about as much of this as I can stand. Let’s go find something interesting to eat.“

And that is what I am going to do… God bless you and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

23 minutes ago, Philip said:

Nah, I’m not wrong.

however, If I may my father’s comment half way through a performance of Mahler 8:

” well, I’ve had about as much of this as I can stand. Let’s go find something interesting to eat.“

And that is what I am going to do… God bless you and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Umm..yes, you are wrong.  Several teams treat the position as of its a full time position.  That at bat stats is a fact you can’t argue against.  That’s the definition of “full time”.  

Wait wait wait...

There are actually people legitimately upset that the Orioles dumped an expensive, mediocre DH-type player that literally no one else in baseball wanted at his original multimillion dollar price tag? Or is this some type of avant-garde digital performance art bit deconstructing the stereotypical uninformed and overly emotional sports fan that has simply whooshed right over my head...?

:noidea:

• Haha 2