Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

weams

34 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Not knowing how they valued his work in Bowie last year, just my guess. Elias has shown to be conservative with his talent. If DL starts in AA, would that be too conservative though? I mean he has no time there yet. I will be disappointed if DL is not in Norfolk by mid July or so. 

I think it’s totally false that Elias has been conservative, at least in the way you are using that here.

But no, Hall better start in AA.  No reason not to.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think that applies so much to guys out of the bullpen?  They go an inning or two at a time and generally only throw two pitches. 

Not as much as starters, but they do learn how hitters react and what they need to improve upon.

A good example would be Blaine Knight who dominated Low-ball hitters with fastball up and out of the zone and curveballs in the dirt for the most part as well as the fact that Sally League hitters would go after more pitches out of the zone. He found out that High-A hitters are more patient and his lack of command led him to eventually pitch too much in the middle of the plate and he got hammered. I'm sure he took that lesson on what to work on that offseason but unfortunately the 2020 minor league season was wiped out.

Personally, I would jump Fenter up to AA and put him in relief and see how the fastball-curveball combo plays in two-three  inning stints.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s totally false that Elias has been conservative, at least in the way you are using that here.

But no, Hall better start in AA.  No reason not to.

Interesting, how is that false? Making your prospects spend nearly a full season in each level is a conservative approach in modern times. He calls that conservative, himself, but I suppose you can call it something else. I won’t quibble about semantics. I’ll be over here shrugging my shoulders, sipping my bourbon. 

Meanwhile, John Smoltz was speaking on MLB network a few days ago about Bobby Witt Jr. and stated he  would tear up the minors and would be the 2021 AL Rookie of the Year. Now that is aggressive promotion. 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Interesting, how is that false? Making your prospects spend nearly a full season in each level is a conservative approach in modern times. He calls that conservative, himself, but I suppose you can call it something else. I won’t quibble about semantics. I’ll be over here shrugging my shoulders, sipping my bourbon. 

Meanwhile, John Smoltz was speaking on MLB network a few days ago about Bobby Witt Jr. and stated he  would tear up the minors and would be the 2021 AL Rookie of the Year. Now that is aggressive promotion. 

I think he is promoting guys at a pace to where they are all ready to be up at a similar time frame.  

I don’t feel anyone has been held back outside of Mountcastle and that was for service time reasons and even that wasn’t that big of a deal because they were trying to figure out where to play him.

Elias has also barely been in the organization (2020 really doesn’t count) for us to truly label him anything yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

There will be rending of garments here on the OH if that occurs.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he is promoting guys at a pace to where they are all ready to be up at a similar time frame.  

I don’t feel anyone has been held back outside of Mountcastle and that was for service time reasons and even that wasn’t that big of a deal because they were trying to figure out where to play him.

Elias has also barely been in the organization (2020 really doesn’t count) for us to truly label him anything yet.

I agree with what Mike is doing, though like you, I am among many who questioned leaving Pop unprotected. As far as development, I agree with him, and everything you wrote. I do think that he is doing what is right for the players and the organization. I do think it is conservative compared to many others, including the previous regime here. But he is in a rebuild, so in fairness, he has the luxury of being patient. When we begin competing for playoff births and the payroll rises, will he still have the same approach? IDK. 

57 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

He could make the team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yep, and that is such an aggressive risk to me. Why rush a guy like that? Is Jake Fox his hitting coach? Good luck kid.

Yea, it’s probably too soon but who knows how much he has grown since he last played pro ball.  

Was he at their camp last year?  How did he fare?  Lots of questions.

Hard to believe he makes the team and they spend the service time but I would guess starting in AA is likely and if he plays well, he could be up soon enough.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yep, and that is such an aggressive risk to me. Why rush a guy like that? Is Jake Fox his hitting coach? Good luck kid.

Because, generally speaking, the faster a player reaches the majors the better their career.

He turns 21 in June.  Lots of highly touted guys are in the majors at 20-21.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, it’s probably too soon but who knows how much he has grown since he last played pro ball.  

Was he at their camp last year?  How did he fare?  Lots of questions.

Hard to believe he makes the team and they spend the service time but I would guess starting in AA is likely and if he plays well, he could be up soon enough.  

Exactly my thoughts. We’ll see, I guess. He may be the once in a generation type, or they may set him back. He’s a heck of a talent though, for sure.