The defense thread 2021

Frobby

I’m curious as to why Ruiz ran for the ball instead of the first baseman, who looked to be closer.

but I don’t care, because SOMEONE caught it. I just hope SOMEONE continues to catch the ball, and that we get a better catcher. Severino is an idiot.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m curious as to why Ruiz ran for the ball instead of the first baseman, who looked to be closer.

but I don’t care, because SOMEONE caught it. I just hope SOMEONE continues to catch the ball, and that we get a better catcher. Severino is an idiot.

Just like the ss vs 3b on the other side it’s all about pursuit angles. Tough for the 1b to go straight(ish) back. And everyone on the diamond should go after it if able, assuming no bases need to be covered. 

Edited by TWpj

1 hour ago, Philip said:

By the way, I think it is very meaningful that the presumptive leftfielder is playing designated hitter, resulting in a much stronger outfield. When Stewart comes back, The resulting alignment will not be as strong.

Obviously if defense were all that mattered, this is our best defensive threesome.   But we’ll see who hits.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Obviously if defense were all that mattered, this is our best defensive threesome.   But we’ll see who hits.  

Sure but the idea is that if MC plays DH, you have maximum offense AND defense. No need to sacrifice one for the other.

Game 2, April 3

I didn’t see much of this game, but in the early innings Severino made a very poor throw to 2B on a steal attempt.    Runner would have been out by three feet with any kind of decent throw, but he bounced it three feet wide of 2B and Ruiz couldn’t snare it.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 2, April 3

I didn’t see much of this game, but in the early innings Severino made a very poor throw to 2B on a steal attempt.    Runner would have been out by three feet with any kind of decent throw, but he bounced it three feet wide of 2B and Ruiz couldn’t snare it.  

Austin Hays lost a ball in the sun allowing JD to reach second on a "double" but Harvey stranded him thankfully.