The defense thread 2021

Frobby

Yeah, I saw it too.   Franco took a little too long to get rid of the ball and then Mancini got the ball stuck in his glove.  

On the other play, Stewart fielded a ground single in RF and made kind of a lazy tentative throw into 2B while a runner was sliding into 3B.   Urias mishandled the hop and the runner decided to take off for home.   Urias picked the ball up and threw a one hopper to Severino, who didn’t handle it.  Poor play by Stewart, Urias and Severino.   

Later in the game, Murphy challenged Mullins arm by trying to go 1st to 3rd on a single in shallow LCF.   Mullins charged the ball aggressively and threw Murphy out.   

On 5/1/2021 at 9:56 PM, wildcard said:

Was the Stewart catch great or reckless?   The O's were up  by 5.   The ball was foul.  Is he really worth it to get hurt  at that point in the game?  He was very lucky to just be sore after hitting the bullpen roof with his head.

Stewart is a horrible judge of flyballs. As a result, he slowly ran toward the foul pop because he couldn't judge where he needed to be. A good outfielder gets to the spot quicker, at more of a full run, and is waiting for the ball. Instead, Stewart was still half-running towards a popup he should have been under and injured himself. It's not a great play nor is it reckless. It's a typical play by a bad outfielder who can't judge fly balls and could have injured himself worse because of his defensive inability.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I saw it too.   Franco took a little too long to get rid of the ball and then Mancini got the ball stuck in his glove.  

On the other play, Stewart fielded a ground single in RF and made kind of a lazy tentative throw into 2B while a runner was sliding into 3B.   Urias mishandled the hop and the runner decided to take off for home.   Urias picked the ball up and threw a one hopper to Severino, who didn’t handle it.  Poor play by Stewart, Urias and Severino.   

Later in the game, Murphy challenged Mullins arm by trying to go 1st to 3rd on a single in shallow LCF.   Mullins charged the ball aggressively and threw Murphy out.   

Can somebody please help Trey pick out a mitt that works properly?

5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Stewart is unathletic whether he catches it or whether he flops around like a fish on a dock. 

I think you're confusing un-athletic with lack of grace.  

DJ Stewart is very athletic.  He doesn't always look great, but that doesn't mean he's un-athletic.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

DJ Stewart is very athletic.  He doesn't always look great, but that doesn't mean he's un-athletic.  

Call it what you want he is not a ML outfielder, not sure I have ever seen such a weak arm coupled with total inaccuracy in a guy that can't run and also takes bad routes to everything

When is Santander back?

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Like Gerry Sandusky described Kyle Boller to be unathletic, so is Stewart. You can throw a football 60 yards from your knees and still be unathletic if you have two left feet and trip over yourself, like Boller did and Stewart does. Having a few gifts does not make one "athletic" or "coordinated."

I am not confusing anything. I am also not playing semantic games.

I would not call Stewart anything more than a mediocre athlete - as far as athleticism needed on a baseball field.  He can probably run straight ahead decently, and he's strong, but he's extremely stiff and badly lacking in agility - which is the major cause of his lack of range and very slow release on his throws - as it takes him so long to set his feet.  He's a bad OFer mainly because of his lack of athleticism.     

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I would not call Stewart anything more than a mediocre athlete - as far as athleticism needed on a baseball field.  He can probably run straight ahead decently, and he's strong, but he's extremely stiff and badly lacking in agility - which is the major cause of his lack of range and very slow release on his throws - as it takes him so long to set his feet.  He's a bad OFer mainly because of his lack of athleticism.     

Everything is relative.   I had a very good friend who grew up to be 6’10 and he played starting center on a Final Four team and played professionally in Spain for a decade.   I played almost every sport with him — basketball, football, baseball, tennis, golf, soccer, you name it.   He was a very good athlete for an average sized person, and extremely well coordinated, especially for someone his size.  

But you know what?   When I saw his college team play on TV against top competition, he looked positively uncoordinated and slow out there.   Because he was competing with the hyper-elite.   

That’s how it is with Stewart.   He’s probably a much better athlete than all the people on this website declaring how unathletic he is.   He’s way above average, until you start comparing him to other professional athletes.    Is he unathletic compared to Mullins, Hays and Santander?  Well yes.  But I’d still never insult the guy by calling him unathletic.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Everything is relative.   I had a very good friend who grew up to be 6’10 and he played starting center on a Final Four team and played professionally in Spain for a decade.   I played almost every sport with him — basketball, football, baseball, tennis, golf, soccer, you name it.   He was a very good athlete for an average sized person, and extremely well coordinated, especially for someone his size.  

But you know what?   When I saw his college team play on TV against top competition, he looked positively uncoordinated and slow out there.   Because he was competing with the hyper-elite.   

That’s how it is with Stewart.   He’s probably a much better athlete than all the people on this website declaring how unathletic he is.   He’s way above average, until you start comparing him to other professional athletes.    Is he unathletic compared to Mullins, Hays and Santander?  Well yes.  But I’d still never insult the guy by calling him unathletic.   

Lol a guy competing and holding his own at the highest level of a professional sport and people are calling him un-athletic.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course, but... this is a message board for a Major League team.  Obviously... we're talking relative to other MLers.  That's a given.  We don't need to explain that.  

Right?

The best basketball player ever at my HS - by miles - was a little point guard named Craig Davis.  He was a little-used backup at NC State - decades ago.  Hopefully we all get the concept of a big fish in a little pond.  In fact, I know we do.  Right?  Good.    

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol a guy competing and holding his own at the highest level of a professional sport and people are calling him un-athletic.  

It’s comical...I mean, I don’t think Wieters was a great athlete in many ways and I think it held him back some.

But if you saw Wieters just playing sports somewhere, you would probably think he’s an amazing athlete.

Stewart was a HS football star as well.  He was excellent in football and baseball.  You get these guys out against normal people and they would make you look like a bumbling fool.

Now, is Stewart at athletic as other guys?  No, of course not.  A guy like Mullins, for example, is way more athletic.  

I think people forget how hard it is to get to the level people are at and just how truly special these guys are.  Obviously, some of the players aren’t good enough, by MLB standards, to be around for a long time but just making it to that point is incredible impressive.

I saw a chart the other day...over 1M kids play HS football.  70,000 of those kids get to play in the NCAA and only 20k of them play as freshman.  Of those kids, only 330 or so get invited to the combine.  

1.6% of college players get to play in the NFL and only about 150 players make it to 4 or more years. 

So yea, to get to the top of the top, you are an athlete and you are really good at what you do.  You may not be as good as other professionals but against sloths like us on this board, you are a man against boys.

• Upvote 1