Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

I was at the game last night and his stuff was pure electric on many of the swings and misses.  I think the combination of the umpire's very tight strike zone and Grayson trying to spot the ball by moving it just outside the black led to a few more balls that would have been desired.  Four or five calls the other way on some questionable ball calls, has him sitting mid to high 60% on strikes.  I don't know if he pitched to "just off the plate" by design or if he just missed spots but Rutschman did not move his glove a lot.

But watching his body/build, his power stride, fastball hop and electricity, one name came to mind:  Roger Clemens.  Although not a fan of Clemens off the field, we can only hope that Grayson is every bit as good on the field.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

I was at the game last night and his stuff was pure electric on many of the swings and misses.  I think the combination of the umpire's very tight strike zone and Grayson trying to spot the ball by moving it just outside the black led to a few more balls that would have been desired.  Four or five calls the other way on some questionable ball calls, has him sitting mid to high 60% on strikes.  I don't know if he pitched to "just off the plate" by design or if he just missed spots but Rutschman did not move his glove a lot.

But watching his body/build, his power stride, fastball hop and electricity, one name came to mind:  Roger Clemens.  Although not a fan of Clemens off the field, we can only hope that Grayson is every bit as good on the field.

I probably won’t get my hopes up that high.    The thing I’ve observed watching one start in person and one on milb.tv is that he doesn’t seem to throw max effort.   His delivery is very much under control and he doesn’t tip what’s coming.  Once he gets to two strikes he’s really hot hitters in a bind because they have to be ready for 98-100 mph, but it may be the changeup or slider that’s coming. And he locates all three very well.  

Will Wilson has faced several highly-regarded pitchers since being promoted to Double-A Richmond. I recently asked the San Francisco Giants shortstop prospect which of them had the nastiest stuff.

“I would probably say Grayson Rodriguez, so far,” said Wilson, who was drafted 15th overall in 2019 by the Los Angeles Angels before being traded to his current organization. “He kind of had everything when we faced him. He’s the full package. He’s got really good off-speed, a really good changeup, and a really good fastball.”

Rodriguez — No. 2 on our Baltimore Orioles Top Prospects list — has 114 strikeouts in 71-and -a-third innings this season. He’s allowed just 39 hits.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-reds-prospect-francisco-urbaez-is-schooling-high-a-pitchers/

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Do we expect Grayson to bump up to AAA this season? That would be 3 levels in one season so it seems highly unlikely. But 48 IP at 2.63 ERA with a 14 K/9 is about all I need to see at AA. 

I don't think 3 levels in a year is really all that crazy/unusual, and even less so after the lost season last year.  He really should have started at AA in the first place (truly not trying to open that debate yet again, just saying that I don't think it would be unusual for him to get another bump to AAA).

Just now, glenn__davis said:

I don't think a 3-level jump in a year is really all that crazy, and even less so after the lost season last year.  He really should have started at AA in the first place (truly not trying to open that debate yet again, just saying that I don't think it would be unusual for him to get another bump to AAA).

Yeah I think the sooner he can get a feel for the AAA/ML ball the better. Pair him back up with Adley. I'd like to see it happen. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Do we expect Grayson to bump up to AAA this season? That would be 3 levels in one season so it seems highly unlikely. But 48 IP at 2.63 ERA with a 14 K/9 is about all I need to see at AA. 

My guess is that mostly depends on what his innings cap is. He threw 94 innings in 2019 and entered today's start having thrown 71 and a third innings. Norfolk's season is two weeks longer than Bowie's, going to October 3rd, compared to September 19.

He is probably looking at 6-7 more starts if he stays with Bowie and 2-3 additional starts if he ends up in Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

I will say this. In the 25 years I've been covering the Orioles minor leagues, Rodriguez is the best pitching prospect I've seem come through pitching in the Orioles organization. He literally has the complete package of velocity, off-speed, and the ability to throw four pitches for strikes. Can his command improve some, sure, but he's head and shoulders better than anyone I've scouted. 

I've always said that Josh Beckett was the best pitcher I ever scouted in the minor leagues and Tim Lincecum was the best I have scouted as an amateur.

Grayson Rodriguez may now have eclipsed Beckett in my mind as the best I've seen in the minors.

• Upvote 3

Threw 70% strikes today.   In the part I followed on GameDay, he was pretty much ahead of every hitter.   Most of the called balls were two-strike pitches where he was trying to get hitters to expand the zone, and really nothing you’d call a waste pitch.