Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

This, coupled with the lack of reports from anywhere else, pretty much confirms that whoever floated this Correa/Orioles rumor is just pushing for more money for Correa. The Orioles very clearly are not going after him. They should be, but they’re most definitely not. 

There is nothing "definite" in the world of sports reporting.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

How big would a one year offer have to be to make sense?

45M?

I don't see why he'd do better (financially) next year over this year, he'll be down another peak year. 

Yeah it's a fair question, I'm not sure my guess is it's subjective to each player. 

What I can definitely tell you is that when you have the huevos to turn down $300MM for $45MM in hopes that you don't tear your ACL or get beaned or whatever... you are TRULY at the helm of the bobsled. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

This confirmation has a certain smell to it.

Negotiations heat up with the Astros and all of a sudden Astros starter Justin Verlander's brother Ben pops up with a confirmation of a 300m bid.  Boras plant.    Sound fishy and Astros Owner Jim Crane is not falling for that.

To be clear, Ben Verlander didn’t confirm anything.  He just quoted Ryan’s article and said it appears Correa has been offered this deal by the Os.

Very different than him confirming it.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The reporter is Astros pitcher Justin Verlander's brother.   Which just tells me that Justin would like his owner to come up on his offer.

Do you do whatever your brother tells you to do?   I don’t.   And I love my brother dearly.   

That said, it looks to me like Verlander is just passing on what Ramos is reporting, not verifying it.    

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

MLBTR is a joke of a site that just aggregates from other places online.  It's not like they have trusted sources and dig up information on their own.

But okay, wildcard, have it your way.  

I mean, here's a guy from Fox Sports with a verified twitter account.  He's not Heyman or Rosenthal but it is a major outlet.

I don’t disagree with anything you have said here and it’s not surprising that MLBTR isn’t posting a rumor from a guy who hasn’t broken a story (that I’m aware of) before or from a guy from a local blog.

Bur that doesn’t mean anything because, like you said, it’s not like MLBtR is some real source.  It’s just a good place to go for all news because it’s in one spot.

It’s a great site for what it is but let’s not make it into something it’s not either.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

As much as I like Roch, he is the State Federation News Correspondent for the Orioles.  He's not going to float anything the club doesn't want him to mention.

Yea.  This would be more Connolly if he heard but the other thing to consider is we have zero idea how tight lipped Elias and his people are on this stuff.  We have no history of it with him.  

One thing we do know is that Elias and his crew have had a lot of talks with Eric DeCosta and they have a lot of similar views on things and you almost never hear rumors about what the Ravens are going to do until the deal is done. 

So, it’s possible he has taken that from EDC and the Ravens.

My only doubts about this offer stem from the idea that we have the ownership we do.  If they are ready to turn the page and are really ready to spend and make this team a contender long term than I believe this offer is legit, the info out there is legit and that Elias wants him.

I just can’t get past the idea that this ownership group would make this offer.  That’s where my doubt lies.

I 100% believe Elias would offer it if the Os allowed him too.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea.  This would be more Connolly if he heard but the other thing to consider is we have zero idea how tight lipped Elias and his people are on this stuff.  We have no history of it with him.  

One thing we do know is that Elias and his crew have had a lot of talks with Eric DeCosta and they have a lot of similar views on things and you almost never hear rumors about what the Ravens are going to do until the deal is done. 

Add to that, we've never seen Elias go after a big free agent like this, so to your point we don't know how tight lipped the front office would be.  I would assume that they would prefer not to have their stuff floating out there.

It's a bit tricky these days, figuring out what's what.  I mean, Bryant to the Rockies yesterday did seem to come out of nowhere and I'm not sure if the Rockies die-hard fans had any idea that was going to happen.  

But, IMO, if you're the Orioles and you do have that 10/300 on the table, might as well bump it up.  Yes, it'd probably be bidding against yourself but if you're gonna do that I'd prefer it to be for a guy like Correa who's a dynamic, 5 tool player and not a guy like Chris Davis who was a couple years removed from a .196 batting average season.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's a chance that the Orioles land him.  As I said, I believe he's probably using this offer (yes, @wildcard, if it's real) to drum up a similar offer from a better team.  

My guess is the O’s did make a significant offer to Correa but he has no interest in signing because of how the team has been run the last few years. He’s probably desperately seeking a comparable offer so he doesn’t feel forced to go to Baltimore by MLBPA. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I do wonder, at this point, who is a suitor for him?  Phillies?  Cardinals?

Obviously Houston.

Twins are supposedly looking for help on the left side.  There was a report they were in on Bryant initially.  I doubt Correa to Minny is in play but maybe that's a spot for Story.  🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I do wonder, at this point, who is a suitor for him?  Phillies?  Cardinals?

Obviously Houston.

I was wondering that too.  

The longer this goes on, I think the further he gets away from Houston but it allows for some mystery team out of nowhere to swoop in and sign him.