Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

On 6/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, Brooks The Great said:

It might be just me, but if you're messing with the swing of your first round draft pick because his hit tool needs more power to provide value, you probably shouldn't have drafted him in the first round.

He was already a stretch at #5, if Elias knew he needed his swing reworked that's a real bad pick. Might have been a ok pick at #20.

I think he's going to get promoted to Bowie at the ASB, have better overall numbers there then he's had at Aberdeen, and be ready to start AAA in 2023, 1 step away from the majors depending on how he performs there.

If he's not traded for pitching in the offseason.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:
38 minutes ago, oldfan said:

Hope power picks up, a scout at time of draft had comp as Nimmo from Mets, nice player, would hope for more from #5 pick. Nimmo is kind of passenger on powerful train, Cowser at #5 pick should be an engine powering the train.

Nimmo has a career OPS+ of 130.

This is an example of unreasonable expectations.

If Nimmo retired today he would have the 10th highest WAR of any player drafted #5 overall, sandwiched between Matt Wieters (18.3) and Drew Pomeranz (12.4).  I know we all want a top 5 (or 10) pick to be a star, but the odds are overwhelming against that being the outcome.  To put things into perspective, DJ Stewart’s 0.5 career WAR would be in the upper half of all 1-5 selections.  Let’s keep our fingers crossed that Cowser is a big-leaguer with .390 career OBP  like Nimmo.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nimmo has a career OPS+ of 130.

This is an example of unreasonable expectations.

Nimmo for his career: .266/.389/.441

Cowser 2022: .263/.394/.424

I’d say that sounds like a pretty good comp.   I’d be pretty happy if Cowser turned out to be Nimmo.   

• Upvote 2

I agree Nimmo a better style comp than Markakis as I feel Cowser is going to be extra choosy about pitches unlike NIck.

But keeping it in Oriole-dom

2005 Markakis was 310/390/504 with 95/61 K/BB overall

He only got to Bowie for 33 games late in the year and improved to 339/420/573 before not letting the Club send him out in spring 2006.

2022 Cowser now at 263/394/424 with 70/42 K/BB, very likely going well into triple digits strikeouts.

April - 29/11 K/BB in 71 AB

May - 31/23 K/BB in 81 AB

June - 10/8 K/BB in 53 AB

Hopefully adjusted Cowser will show better than level a few more weeks....glass half full May walk rate doubled, June strikeout rate halved.   If progressing well as a scientific left handed hitter with enough oomph to be dangerous, maybe could present like MVP Yelich to A+ ball.

Futures Game now 4 weeks away.

30 minutes ago, byrdz said:

Last 7 - 444 / 474 / 722 / 1196 

Last 28 - 301 / 433 / 493 / 927 

Season - 263 / 392 / 418 / 810 

That’s more like it.  I hope his BA will continue to creep up and drag his OBP and SLG with it.   The recent increase in ISO is welcome too.   Hopefully he’ll do enough to warrant a move to Bowie in the next few weeks.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2022 at 3:48 AM, RZNJ said:

Last year Cowser had 45 hits.  10 of those were extra bases.  This year he has 55 hits. 23 for extra bases.  That is a significant development. 

June is the Cowser we've been hoping for.

17 for 53 (.326). 7 doubles. 2 homers, 3 SB, 0 CS. 8 walks, 10 strikeouts.  .976 OPS

On his homer last night, I was happy to see it was pulled. When I saw the video I was even happier to see how he had turned on a fastball instead of a hanger or meatball.

https://www.milb.com/video/cowser-homer-opens-scoring?t=playerid-681297

Thanks for the analysis Sir, always enjoy your commentary.