Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

20 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

I started a thread a few weeks ago commenting on the fantastic stolen base numbers of O’s affiliates.  I thought it was the product of something the organization did (e.g. better athletes, better coaching, etc.).  Now, I’ll need to take a look at other organizations to see if this is MiLB wide do to a rule change.  If so, that’s disappointing.

We were writing simultaneously, but I wouldn't be surprised if their great stolen base #s were related to the phenomena I mentioned above.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Well, I think it's pretty likely if they really believed he was a "stud" SS, they would have picked him.   He looks great so far.  We'll see.  I could show you a lot of guys who had huge seasons in Low A and never amounted to much.   Just saying.

Having said the above, I agree that Lawlar looks like a "stud" so far.    The California league, like the PCL, is a notorious hitters league from what I recall.   Just pointing things out.  He looks great but let's not go overboard just yet.   He's got a long way to go.

Billy Rowell and Jeff Fiorentino come to mind. 😁

11 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Billy Rowell and Jeff Fiorentino come to mind. 😁

I remember the Mets and Yankees both had stud CF's who put up huge numbers in low A.  I think Ruben Rivera was the Yankee.  Can't remember the Met.  Pablo Ozuna was another guy.  Alex Escobar was the Met.

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

This was mentioned by one of the away announcing teams the other day.  The far more interesting thing is because they were limited with throw overs, AND there is a clock, guys can just take off at 2-3 seconds knowing the pitchers either can't or won't throw over.

Unintended consequences.

The crew seemed to expect it to manifest itself at the big league level, as it had in the minors, and become part of the game.

And the sides of the bases are bigger by 3 inches, which reduces the distance from 1st to 2nd/2nd to 3rd by 6 inches.

It wasn't unintended.  It was purposeful because they want more SBs in the game.  It's an exciting play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I remember the Mets and Yankees both had stud CF's who put up huge numbers in low A.  I think Ruben Rivera was the Yankee.  Can't remember the Met.  Pablo Ozuna was another guy.  Alex Escobar was the Met.

Yeah, I mean if we started to name names of big time prospects who were killing it at low A and turned into nothing we'd be here until AI comes to our door and tells us we're obsolete. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I remember when Markakis was a prospect the Mets had a guy named Lastings Milledge who was considered to be an equivalent prospect.  He came up the same year as Nick and had an 0.5 rWAR career

Edit - okay, that really had little to do with the post I quoted except it was about an overrated Mets prospect.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I remember when Markakis was a prospect the Mets had a guy named Lastings Milledge who was considered to be an equivalent prospect.  He came up the same year as Nick and had an 0.5 rWAR career

Edit - okay, that really had little to do with the post I quoted except it was about an overrated Mets prospect.  

Funny you should mention it because in finding Alex Escobar's name I saw an old article about 5 Mets prospects who disappointed and Milledge was one of the 5.   12th overall pick in the draft.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wow, what a blast from the past that was, I remember Lastings Milledge. Would be fun to have a look back at all the prospects that were recommended that we trade for back in the early 2010s or late 2000s in trade suggestion threads and see what happened. I remember a bunch of hitters that everyone wanted us to trade for that later became very little. 

3 walks and 3 strikeouts in 17 PA's in June.  Not exactly going out on a limb but I think we'll see of the 2021 Cowser fairly soon.   I expect the batting average to start to rise with good strike discipline numbers but without much power, from here on in.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:24 PM, Flash- bd said:

Wow, what a blast from the past that was, I remember Lastings Milledge. Would be fun to have a look back at all the prospects that were recommended that we trade for back in the early 2010s or late 2000s in trade suggestion threads and see what happened. I remember a bunch of hitters that everyone wanted us to trade for that later became very little. 

It’s always funny/interesting to see those lists/names.  So many people that we swore would never be available or whatever and then they become nothing.  

Baseball is hard and it’s also why you don’t hang onto every prospect because you assume they will be good.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s always funny/interesting to see those lists/names.  So many people that we swore would never be available or whatever and then they become nothing.  

Baseball is hard and it’s also why you don’t hang onto every prospect because you assume they will be good.

The clamoring to trade for Felix Pie (long before he showed up on the Orioles as a washed-up prospect) was intense and makes me think of the Lastings Milledge/Elijah Duke/Brandon Wood obsessions. Sometimes it amazes me that we struck gold with getting Adam Jones given the overall success rate. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

The clamoring to trade for Felix Pie (long before he showed up on the Orioles as a washed-up prospect) was intense and makes me think of the Lastings Milledge/Elijah Duke/Brandon Wood obsessions. Sometimes it amazes me that we struck gold with getting Adam Jones given the overall success rate. 

Brandon Wood was going to be ARod plus.  There must have been dozens of Brandon Wood tribute/trade threads.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Brandon Wood was going to be ARod plus.  There must have been dozens of Brandon Wood tribute/trade threads.

Tons of power…but lots of Ks, not a lot of walks and not a great average.  It all caught up to him as he moved to the ladder.