Who do you want? Who do we take?

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Two guys that "mentality" reminds me of are Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. I'm not sure it's fair to say NBA style egos. I think it's more about people's reaction to fame, which you get less of in MLB than the NBA where darn near every team has a star.

I'm buying the talent first. If Jones is that type of talent, sometimes ego comes with that. If that's not ruinous ego, you gladly accept it as part of the package.

Yup.  As long as he plays hard and is a good teammate/clubhouse guy, the "showboat" stuff really doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Two guys that "mentality" reminds me of are Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. I'm not sure it's fair to say NBA style egos. I think it's more about people's reaction to fame, which you get less of in MLB than the NBA where darn near every team has a star.

I'm buying the talent first. If Jones is that type of talent, sometimes ego comes with that. If that's not ruinous ego, you gladly accept it as part of the package.

Well I'm sure the european players from the NBA don't have that mentality.  Maybe we should try to find european baseball talent if we want to stay clear of the "flashy" types.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well I'm sure the european players from the NBA don't have that mentality.  Maybe we should try to find european baseball talent if we want to stay clear of the "flashy" types.

Lol, I know what you're getting at, but Luca Doncic certainly does. In fact, many of the Euros do. 

It's also a different sport. It's mano e mano. Toughest, baddest dude wins. The baseball corrallary really usually shows itself with pitchers, or between pitchers and hitters. 

But yeah, I get what you're saying. It was a poor comparison.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Lol, I know what you're getting at, but Luca Doncic certainly does. In fact, many of the Euros do. 

It's also a different sport. It's mano e mano. Toughest, baddest dude wins. The baseball corrallary really usually shows itself with pitchers, or between pitchers and hitters. 

But yeah, I get what you're saying. It was a poor comparison.

Well the Euros just tone it down a bit better and know their place.  If you get my drift.  

🙄

• Downvote 1

I was never a big fan of the lack of maturity that Manny showed.  Bat flips, having a Tatis Jr like flair, etc…that doesn’t bother me.

I think you take Jones because he’s just the best player available.  He’s also young and growing up in a different generation than most of us and it’s just different.  Social media has made these guys stars at an early age.

• Upvote 1

I know you shouldn't draft for need, but the Os don't have any legit CF prospects right now. On the other hand, Westburg, Henderson, Mayo, Prieto, and Norby all rank inside Tony's top 10 (if you graduate Adley and Bradish) and even Vavra has been playing well lately. 

I think that tilts the scales favorably for drafting Jones, hopefully Elias sees it this way as well. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well the Euros just tone it down a bit better and know their place.  If you get my drift.  

🙄

Good lord, just stop. You selected a small part of what I wrote. What you neglected to quote was that I said that I was not saying it would preclude them from taking him. He was also my desired pick! So, what you are implying is false and out of line.

Druw Jones is a tremendous talent. If I was picking him, I would want to have a firm grasp of what motivates him. Is it all about the numbers he puts up, money and fame; or is there an extreme desire to win multiple championships over a long career? Personally, I want a guy that wants to win first, and let the other stuff take care of itself. I think he IS that type of competitor, but all of the social media stuff that is out there should at least make evaluators ask questions.

• Upvote 1

I actually enjoy players who are demonstrative and are actually enjoying playing the game.  I'm not a fan of the whole unwritten rules of baseball, where you can't show any more emotion than you would taking a math test.  For instance, the home run chain is silly and doesn't help the O's hit any better, but it seems to relax the hitters and adds to the enjoyment of the fans. 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Druw Jones is a tremendous talent. If I was picking him, I would want to have a firm grasp of what motivates him. Is it all about the numbers he puts up, money and fame; or is there an extreme desire to win multiple championships over a long career? Personally, I want a guy that wants to win first, and let the other stuff take care of itself. I think he IS that type of competitor, but all of the social media stuff that is out there should at least make evaluators ask questions.

That doesn't just go for Jones.  I want to have that conversation with anyone I'm picking 1-1 and giving 7M+ to.

Of course I don't really care if their motivation is a bit on the selfish side.  If their overriding concern is being the best I'm OK with that as long as it doesn't involve tearing down their teammates.

8 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Sounds like a player who will be happy with the Yankees or Dodgers.  O's need to focus on players who are happy missing the playoffs year after year.  lol

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That doesn't just go for Jones.  I want to have that conversation with anyone I'm picking 1-1 and giving 7M+ to.

Of course I don't really care if their motivation is a bit on the selfish side.  If their overriding concern is being the best I'm OK with that as long as it doesn't involve tearing down their teammates.

Agreed. Whomever they pick at 1-1, that is part of the intangibles you have to evaluate. And of course, it is the thing we, as fans, know the least about. Aside from what is on social media, and so on.