Trey Mancini Traded to the Astros

RVAOsFan

22 minutes ago, seak05 said:

This is true, but he can be moved to the 60 man during the season. So if they don't call up Gunnar this year, that would be a way to clear a spot for him in the spring etc

The problem with that is he would accrue MLB service time while on the 60 day MLB DL.

Edited by jcarm
Clarification

50 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

To anyone that doesn’t think we’re punting on the season, here it is from Elias himself. Clearly not all us can be as “shrewd” as Brooks The Great, but I’ve watched the Orioles long enough to know when the team brass has thrown it in for the season. May as well move Santander and Lopez now too since we’re punting this season and looking to next. Let’s evaluate everyone knocking on the door at Norfolk.

If they are punting the season--which I don't think they are, I think they're more splitting the middle by trading players who we can lose while feasibly not losing much production to their in-house replacements, while adding value to the organization--it is the right play. A very small percentage chance at a playoff berth with a team which, if we're honest, still isn't really playoff level on paper, is not worth missing out on precious chances to add value to the organization and continue building what we are building here, with a view towards being a bonafide contender with a roster that can really challenge for more than long shot attempts at the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

Long segment with Trey in the pregame, saying all the stuff you'd mostly expect.

Asked if anyone he'd miss most, after Hyde he mentioned Brian Ebel and the training staff, sharing that "they basically saved my life" with the fast pickup of his health condition that Spring Training.

Going to commercial, saying they'll have Elias on coming back from break.

They may be cannibalizing the Draft Kings betting preview tonight...

Ok, watched some McDermott, here's what I saw.

Raw notes:

July 22nd

1st inning

FB - 95-96

Ch - 84-86 - Pretty straight

CB - 76-80, seems to be more of a roller with a hop, not a fan. Very inconsistent control of pitch.
Sl-84-87 - Best, offspeed pitch but inconsistent in depth. Sometimes looks like a cutter.

Uses fastball up for swing and miss

3rd inning- 93-95

Overall: Velocity ticked down after the first inning of work. The slider is his most consistent offspeed but still not very consistent. He'll flash a plus slider and probably the pitch he should focus on. Curveball can be loopy at times and hammer at times up to 80 mph. Very inconsistent offering but can get swing and miss. Change is straight change that he can throw for strikes down but not a lot of movement.

He's a guy that can probably move fast if you have him focus on being a fastball, slider guy but if they can teach him that split change he could be a real weapon. Command issues with all of his pitches will limit his rise as a starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I love the way Elias takes emotions out of his decision making.  He doesn’t give a damn about public perception.  He cares about doing the right thing.

Thats what you want and need out of a GM.

Which is what you want from a leader of the organization when it comes to player moves.

• Upvote 2

What the Orioles got in return is what makes this trade compelling for me. Johnson was the No. 58 prospect in the ZiPS Top 100 prior to the season, and both ZiPS andmy colleague Eric Longehagen ranked him as Tampa’s second-best pitching prospect. Obviously, he’s a lot riskier given that he’s having Tommy John surgery, but he still represents real talent who could make an impact on the major league roster at some point, not a 27-year-old middle reliever in A-ball. And while Johnson will have to be added to the 40-man roster while he’s injured, I think he’s worth losing a spot. Baltimore also needs pitching depth in the minors, and McDermott, whom Eric recently valued as a 40 FV prospect, has real upside if his command issues can be ironed out.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/orioles-prioritize-head-over-heart-trade-trey-mancini-to-astros/

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

On MASN, Palmer had to stop himself before he was going to cry.  

Not sure if that’s the case of he just lost his train of thought. I have noticed of late the latter happens with Palmer much more often than it once did.  Getting old sucks!!