Wells starting tonight

eddie83

28 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Logical... he's definitely the weakest option.

Pretty smart. You could kind of see that he is headed for a bad stretch.  No sharpness on his breaking pitch pretty much takes away his main weapon.  I'd call this proactive.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty smart. You could kind of see that he is headed for a bad stretch.  No sharpness on his breaking pitch pretty much takes away his main weapon.  I'd call this proactive.

Agree - he is red meat for a lineup like Toronto's. They are also ludicrously hot right now, but he just doesn't have the stuff. 

Great story, and happy for him that he contributed this season... but you can only carry so many.

On its surface, both Wells and Kremer had solid starts vs. the Blue Jays earlier this year: 

Kremer (at Toronto, August 16, Win). 7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 15 GB, 5 FB.

Wells (at Toronto, June 16, Win).  6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 9 GB, 11 FB.

I can see that playing into Hyde's thinking for tonight.  However, why mess with a good thing in Kremer's recent strong performances?  Unless Kremer is ill or entering a dead arm period, Wells as an opener is overthinking it.  More variance, me thinks, in Wells' expectations for tonight, having not pitched since July 27.

They may be using Wells as a true opener, something that to my knowledge the O's have never really done.  As crazy hot as the top of their lineup has been, have him go full tilt for the 1st 2 innings or so, then bring Kremer in starting with the bottom of the lineup and see if he can get through another 4-5.

31 minutes ago, 86this said:

Unless the plan is for him to stay after a start, he'd have to be exposed to waivers.  So essentially, one and done?

I thought he could have taken Spencer Watkins spots in the rotation and potentially kept it. I guess that could still happen, but just no playoff roster spot for him

34 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

They may be using Wells as a true opener, something that to my knowledge the O's have never really done.  As crazy hot as the top of their lineup has been, have him go full tilt for the 1st 2 innings or so, then bring Kremer in starting with the bottom of the lineup and see if he can get through another 4-5.

Voth was an opener for his first few starts as they built him up.  That's actually worked out pretty well, both in those starts and in building him up slowly.

I like it.  If Kremer is that affected by starting in inning 3 or 4 instead of 1, on his normal day to pitch, then that's an issue anyway.  It shouldn't be a big deal assuming it was explained to him in advance.  Hopefully these two can combine for at least 7 if not more.