Should we bring Trey back?

Big Al

Although Aguilar had some big hits today, it still seems obvious to me we need a better option if Mountcastle should get injured or needs a break.  On Tony's latest top 40 prospect list, there is not one 1B listed.  If we are really going to spend some money this offseason, why not bring in someone who fills a need, is beloved by the fans and respected by the team.  

No. Santander and Adley can backup 1B next season. Would rather spend more money on even bigger bat than Trey, if anything.

I also think Jordan Westburg could wind up being a better overall hitter than Mountcastle, and JW can move around the infield. Westburg could potentially play some 1B, or spell Gunnar at 3B and move Gunnar to 1B occasionally.

I love Trey and IMO he is a better 1B RIGHT NOW, but they are essentially the same player. This is Trey's only good shot at FA money so I wish him the best. I want to give Monty another year to work on his pitch selection, going to RF, buying into the damage per swing mantra. He is young enough to change and grow into the "he will be beast" comment that Weams made often. Now, if the market isn't there and Trey needs a 1 year pillow contract for $10M, absolutely.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Westburg could potentially play some 1B, or spell Gunnar at 3B and move Gunnar to 1B occasionally.

The first part, possibly, the second part no freaking way. Gunner is potentially a GG 3B as soon as 2023, put him there and leave him alone. If he needs an off day but you want his bat, DH him. in 2023 Adley will DH about 25% of the time, Stowers-Santander about 50% of the time. The remaining 25% you can rotate guys through. Westburg is likely an upgrade to Urias as utility IF but he is not an upgrade to Gunner.

You're asking if I'd sign a 31-year-old first baseman/DH with a 115 career OPS+ coming off a 2-win season to a free agent contract? With a roster that includes Mountcastle, Rutschman, Santander, Stowers, Vavra, and soon to be Cowser, Westburg,and others? Knowing that a typical player peaks at 27.

At this point his role would be a glorified Delmon Young.  Maybe you think about it on a 1/8 kind of deal? I'm sure Mancini is going to want a starting spot and as many years as he can get.

I don't think there's a match.

• Upvote 2

On thing I do worry about for this team for next year is their ability to hit against LHP. Mullins regressed this year against lefties, Hays overall drop off, and Rutschman's struggles from the right side are all worrisome to me, so if I'm adding a 1B/DH type, it's going to be either a righty or a switch hitter with solid numbers against LHP. Josh Bell would be an interesting target there. Although going into his age 36 season, Jose Abreu would be an interesting option on a one year deal as well given he's put up a 136 OPS+ which is right in line with his career average despite the power numbers dropping off. 

Of course, focusing this spring on 1B for guys like Rutschman, Santander and Stowers would do away with the need for a 1B addition. That said, whatever the path forward, I do think we need at least one more bat in for the middle of the order to help stabilize things. I like Mullins and Adley at the top and think Henderson can fit in the 3 or 4 hole. I'm fine with Santander somewhere between 3-5, but would prefer Mountcastle 6 and the bottom half fill in from there. Whatever happens, I hope we get an interesting offseason.