Could a sale of the Nats to Ted Leonsis’ group lead to an end to the MASN dispute?

Frobby

Rumors are floating that Ted Leonsis’ Monumemtal Sports is the favorite to purchase the Nationals.  That group already owns the Washington Wizards, Capitals and Mystics, and the RSN that broadcasts their games, NBC Sports Washington.   From MLBTR:

“The Nationals’ local broadcasting contract currently runs through the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, which it shares with the Orioles. The Orioles own approximately 75% of the network, while the Nationals own the remaining share. The two franchises have been embroiled in rights fees litigation for the better part of a decade. The Washington franchise won a major victory in 2019 when an arbitrator ruled the Orioles owed the Nats $105MM. The Baltimore organization appealed that decision, and the matter has still yet to be decided by the New York State Court of Appeals.

“While The Athletic notes it’s unclear how or if the sale of the Nationals would affect the MASN dispute, Talk Nats tweeted in August that Leonsis’ group would be interested in reaching a settlement with the Orioles to buy out of the MASN deal. If that did come to pass, the Nationals would presumably then be broadcast on the NBC Sports Washington platform. That’d obviously be a complicated process that requires negotiations with the Orioles, but it does seem to offer a glimmer of hope for a resolution to the saga.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NedFromYork said:

If the Nats buy their way out of MASN to be on one of the NBC regional channel, anybody have thoughts on what territory MASN/Orioles would be restricted to for broadcast?

Just transfer the lawyers from the MASN dispute to the territorial dispute and we'll have a never-ending legal battle with the Nationals over television. 

In all seriousness, I have no idea how that would work. How do the Mets and Yankees make it work, they're on two different networks (or at least they used to be, not sure now)?

37 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Im curious what they buyout out would be. I can see the O's not wanting to sell the Nats TV rights since they profit off them.

So you figure out what the expected profit is, and set the price accordingly.  Business units are bought and sold every day that way.  And we know how much profit the arbitrator has decided is appropriate, because that’s how he set the rights fees.  

As to the territory, they should just continue to share it.  

• Upvote 1

In my opinion the sale of the team to a reputable ownership group and the subsequent resolution of the MASN dispute benefits MLB enormously. I would think the other owners would be overjoyed to resolve this issue. Likewise, if it makes the subsequent sale of the Orioles more likely this also benefits MLB. Getting the remarkably dysfunctional Angelos Family out of baseball seems like a huge win for all involved. Let's hope MLB makes this happen.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• 1) I don't think it's a bad idea to consider moving on from non-productive vets like Hays and possibly Mullins as well. 2) I'm almost starting to move toward the opinion of re-signing Santander. He is likely not to require a major financial commitment (3/4 years at modest money). And I believe because most of his contributions come from counting stats (homers and RBIs) he is likely to be undervalued in this era of statcast baseball. 3) Elias has never (IMO for good reason) decided to take the approach of multiple/several first timers learning on the job at all at once. The potential for that to go sideways represents too much risk, when you are trying to win a World Series. 4) You didn't just mention moving on from Mullins and Hays. But you also mentioned Santander, O'Hearn, and Mountcastle. That is FIVE regulars and replacing them all with players who have never proven that they can hit Major League pitching. I would almost bet that there aren't 5 first timers in all of MLB who are succeeding this season on their first try. Now obviously, for Holliday next season will be his second try. And I guess 3rd for Stowers, maybe 4th depending how you look at it. And second/third for Kjerstad, Norby (I guess second). Though some of these guys stints were so short, I don't know if they could even get/make much of it some of those previous times. 5) If we make it to the postseason (which we are almost assured to do) win or lose this year in the Fall, it will be a very poor message to send to the fanbase to not spend/add in the offseason. With a payroll this low (ranked what 25th?) you should not be cutting cost and especially with a multi-billionaire owner. 6) If you don't trade any of these players this season, how do you propose that we get better/get the piece(s) that we need? 7) Even with all of these new young players and even if all of them performed right away, where is the pitching going to come from next season in order to legitimately contend (if you don't spend in the offseason)?
    • Nobody thought Toronto would not cash in on their "window". It slammed shut on them and they had a lot of young talent that regressed pretty hard. Cautionary tales are out there.
    • What an odd question. Of course it’s important. The entire baseball world will be paying attention to this series. The two best teams in all baseball, in the same division, each going for a crown at the expense of the other, and neither a big fan of the other. Wins are important regardless of the opponent, but it also goes without saying that we would rather win three out of four against the Yankees, than three out of four against the Athletics, or even other contenders like the Mariners or Guards.  
    • Yeah, too much young talent for that to happen next year, unless some major regression and injuries happen.
    • Mike Elias' job certainly entails doing due diligence on Jack Flaherty again.  
    • even if they do, so what? 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now