ESPN’s Bradford Doolittle thinks the O’s currently are a 72-win team

Frobby

24. Baltimore Orioles

Projected wins: 72.4
Playoff odds: 6%
Title odds: 0% (no change)
Aggression rank: 19
Improvement rank: 8

While I was hoping for a splashy Orioles winter -- Correa! Jacob deGrom! -- I also understood that the team couldn't operate as if last year's playoff contention was a real thing. Well, of course it was real, and it was spectacular. But the Orioles weren't as good as their record. They were a team still in rebuild mode that had an emergent bullpen and saw the ascension of some key young players, including new franchise face Adley Rutschman. Allowing the new young core to coalesce is probably smart, even as Baltimore tries to be opportunistic in the star market going forward. But a real splash would have been fun.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35292245/ranking-all-30-mlb-teams-biggest-free-agents-signed

Interesting that Doolittle ranks the O’s 8th in improvement.   As he explains: “The ‘improvement’ rank considers the net impact a team's offseason machinations have had on its 2023 outlook. This is a rating on the moves alone, not on the team's overall chances to be better, an assessment that should also consider aging patterns, improvement of young players, regression factors, etc.”

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

24. Baltimore Orioles

Projected wins: 72.4
Playoff odds: 6%
Title odds: 0% (no change)
Aggression rank: 19
Improvement rank: 8

While I was hoping for a splashy Orioles winter -- Correa! Jacob deGrom! -- I also understood that the team couldn't operate as if last year's playoff contention was a real thing. Well, of course it was real, and it was spectacular. But the Orioles weren't as good as their record. They were a team still in rebuild mode that had an emergent bullpen and saw the ascension of some key young players, including new franchise face Adley Rutschman. Allowing the new young core to coalesce is probably smart, even as Baltimore tries to be opportunistic in the star market going forward. But a real splash would have been fun.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35292245/ranking-all-30-mlb-teams-biggest-free-agents-signed

Interesting that Doolittle ranks the O’s 8th in improvement.   As he explains: “The ‘improvement’ rank considers the net impact a team's offseason machinations have had on its 2023 outlook. This is a rating on the moves alone, not on the team's overall chances to be better, an assessment that should also consider aging patterns, improvement of young players, regression factors, etc.”

I think 72 wins is definitely the low end of the projections. I would not be surprised if they did win 72, just as I wouldn't be surprised if they won 82. 

Most of their improvements will be tied to the young guys. The downside is, most of the teams they are chasing has made upgrades this off season.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

I think 72 wins is definitely the low end of the projections. I would not be surprised if they did win 72, just as I wouldn't be surprised if they won 82. 

Most of their improvements will be tied to the young guys. The downside is, most of the teams they are chasing has made upgrades this off season.

Well, if this is to be believed, have they? We rank 8th in improvement, behind:

1. Rangers

2. Mets

3. Cubs

4. Yankees

5. Phillies

6. Giants

7. Angels

So that makes the Orioles the 4th most improved team in the AL, by this analysis   of the moves made this winter.   So for the O’s to be falling to 72 wins, Doolittle clearly thinks a lot of our players (probably mostly pitchers) overperformed last year and will regress in 2023.   

13 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Would you be surprised by 92? Lol 

I don’t think people realize how much we got out of Voth and Watkins last season. Watkins threw 120 IP with a 4.3 ERA. Voth had a 10 ERA when we signed him and then pitched like one of the best SP in the AL in the 2nd half. So we did get a little lucky with those two SP. Grayson should help mitigate the regression there. I think adding Eovaldi or Wacha makes us a solid 85+ win team. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, if this is to be believed, have they? We rank 8th in improvement, behind:

1. Rangers

2. Mets

3. Cubs

4. Yankees

5. Phillies

6. Giants

7. Angels

So that makes the Orioles the 4th most improved team in the AL, by this analysis   of the moves made this winter.   So for the O’s to be falling to 72 wins, Doolittle clearly thinks a lot of our players (probably mostly pitchers) overperformed last year and will regress in 2023.   

No Blue Jays but have the Angels.  That’s interesting.  

8th on improving, 19th (nearly middle of the pack/neutral), and yet losing 10 more games.  Lots of regression and health issues (with no depth) across the board I assume.  Sorry the inputs don’t equal the output.  It doesn’t pass the sniff test.

I don’t think the national guessers know what to do with the O’s.  Especially when they want clicks.  The local guys have a bias for or a jaded experience against.  I have a hard time trusting any media types regarding the O’s.