Mariners DFA Justus Sheffield; Interest?

Yardball85

The Mariners just designated Justus Sheffield for assignment to sign Tommy LaStella.  He was the big name going to Seattle in the Paxton trade a few years ago and has not lived up to his prospect hype.  He also has not pitched well since 2020, including pitching poorly in AAA.  Is this something our pitching team could fix, or is this not worth the time?

14 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

The Mariners just designated Justus Sheffield for assignment to sign Tommy LaStella.  He was the big name going to Seattle in the Paxton trade a few years ago and has not lived up to his prospect hype.  He also has not pitched well since 2020, including pitching poorly in AAA.  Is this something our pitching team could fix, or is this not worth the time?

No.  His fastball velocity was in the 48th percentile, which ain't great back in 2019.  It's dropped each year since then.   It was down to 24% last year.    If you don't have stuff, what's to fix?

Left handed. Breathing. 26. Has an option.  No serious injury risk. Starting pitching depth. 49.5 % GB rate. 

The question always is… is someone better than Gilaspie, Cano, Baumann, Zimmerman, or Politi?  Vespi is hurt too, hernia surgery. Might be a lost year for Vespi. We did already acquire Darwinzon Hernandez though as lefty depth.

I guess the argument would be is that we’re not exactly handing out long term deals to SP.  He would be SP depth. I’m a big fan of deep depth. Could Holt help him out?

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wouldn’t give him a 40 man spot but I’d see if we could get him in the system. 

Probably wouldn’t amount to anything but he’s still 26 and a former top prospect. 

I don't think we have the option to sign him to a minor league contract.  I believe he was DFA, not released.  Pretty sure that he would be outrighted to Mariners AAA club if he goes untraded and unclaimed.

• Upvote 2