Tyler Wells as a starter

wildcard

Just now, RZNJ said:

It's all about his command.   When his arm is not right, like the 2nd half of last year, he doesn't have the pinpoint command.   He just needs to avoid the home runs with men on base.

It's all about command with every pitcher but Wells' command is probably his best quality as a pitcher.

• Upvote 1

It's always clear on the broadcasts how highly Palmer thinks of Tyler Wells. He always speaks glowingly of Wells' command and smart pitching, more so than he does of Bradish or Kremer. And he's got a point. I think we've slept on Wells a bit here since he wasn't much of a factor in the last two months last year when we were paying the most attention. 

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Upvote 4

He and Bradish are 2 guys that I expect to give the team every chance imaginable to win when they pitch. Obviously Bradish pooped the bed last night but I don't expect that to be a normal thing for him.

It's really encouraging to see Wells with 7 k's and 1 walk. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The control is impeccable.

He raises his ceiling if he misses more bats and gets more Ks but the command and control keep the baserunners low. Makes him tough to beat.

And fun to watch for that reason as well.  

46 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

He and Bradish are 2 guys that I expect to give the team every chance imaginable to win when they pitch. Obviously Bradish pooped the bed last night but I don't expect that to be a normal thing for him.

It's really encouraging to see Wells with 7 k's and 1 walk. 

Before the wheels really came off, it seemed like he was a lot better htan results were showing. A few bloops fell in (including one where the batter basically threw his bat at a pitch that was low and away out of the zone). The early walks also seemed to be a lot of 50-50 balls that he just wasn't winding up on the right side of (not that he was screwed by the umps, rather that a cm or two difference would have made some of those balls into definite strikes). The real abuse happened after he'd had a 40-pitch 2nd inning, which does seem to make sense.

That's a long-winded way of saying that I think he's just a few tweaks or small differences away from that outing playing out quite differently.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

It's always clear on the broadcasts how highly Palmer thinks of Tyler Wells. He always speaks glowingly of Wells' command and smart pitching, more so than he does of Bradish or Kremer. And he's got a point. I think we've slept on Wells a bit here since he wasn't much of a factor in the last two months last year when we were paying the most attention. 

Well said